1.21.2009

Stink. Stank. Stunk.

Tonight I had a couple things to go out for, so I grabbed my iPod and threw on my trainers (YAY! No more winter boots for now!) and jumped into Rocket. I got halfway down the street before the gagging started.

No, I'm not pregnant. (JJ! Sit back down.)

It seems that the other day when I was out with all great intentions to go to a free skate at a local arena and got sidetracked by Other More Important Matters, (namely not breaking the law, among others...) I forgot my hockey skates in the backseat of the car.

Which... had they actually been MY hockey skates, this would not have caused a problem whatsoever. But. Seeing as I had mistakenly grabbed Mr. F.'s hockey skates by accident... yeah, a much more offensive and noxious problem had arisen.

I'm not sure what made Day Three so horrifically worse than the other days. (I really hadn't noticed before and my nose is pretty sensitive to stuff.) I'm thinking the warm weather, combined with Rocket sitting in the dark garage all day caused the smell to reach critical mass within a matter of hours. And it is Critical. I'm not sure Rocket will recover. It's like the hand of God reached down and plunked a 20-year old mouldering hockey bag in front of the heat vent and let it simmer for 24 hours. I swear the windows are even foggy.

Rocket and I most definitely have a date tomorrow to get things cleaned up and smelling good again. I may even have to buy flowers, cause I don't think he's even talking to me at the moment.

And I'm going to have to consider putting some pink laces in my skates.

7 comments:

JodyJ said...

I just about fell for it Flutter! Now having lived with that boy for my early, impressionable years, I completely understand where you are coming from. Isn't there a foot powder he could apply to those dogs???

Bijoux said...

This reminds me of when I used to pick up my oldest after she worked out in the high school weight room. The smell (and I'm guessing a combo of her sweat AND the leftover odor from hundreds of past athletes) was so overwhelming I had to drive with my head OUT the window. And then de-fumigate the car. May I suggest a big can of Lysol?

Desmond Jones said...

Reminds me of a story from my teen years, when a couple buddies and I went tent-camping in the woods. There was a (mercifully short-lived) fad in those days, by which teens wore their sneakers sans-socks. And after a day spent vigorously hiking thru the woods, we all flopped into our tent that night, and couldn't wait to pull our sneaks off. I swear, you could've gagged a bear with the stench. . .

flutterby said...

JodyJ -- The scary thing is that he hasn't even played ice hockey for at least four years. Can you imagine how badly my storage room smelled all those years before with that nasty hockey bag airing out between games? Of course you can. :o)

Cocotte -- High school weight rooms are nasty, nasty places. No one wipes anything down. I doubt it was your sweet daughter smelling up the car, just the weight room smell that attached itself to her.

Desmond -- I totally remember that fad. yuck. That sounds like some serious air pollution, though. Although, perhaps a smart strategy for avoiding wildlife as they'll always smell you coming. :)

FTN said...

I have a bacon-scented air freshener you can borrow, if you need it.

Anonymous said...

Heh heh, reminds me of when my feet were ranker than rank ..... fixed that prob, not Sensible's got it!

Lysol's the ticket!

flutterby said...

FTN -- ewwwwww. You do realize I'd end up with bacon-scented hockey bag stench in Rocket, don't you?

Xavier -- Lysol, hey? Rocket thanks you. :)