1.10.2009

Dreamin'

I know that some think that Style is something you are born with; an inherent set of inclinations and preferences that you carry with you through life. I'm finding that style is something you grow into.

And it's frustrating the heck out of me.

Cause the old Me (OK, really, that would be the Young Me, but bear with me, here, people...) was a slave to the trend and all into being sleek and modern just for the sake of ensuring continued job security for IKEA employees of the world. It's a style I can still appreciate from an artful view, but I'm finding that I don't feel at Home in it like I used to.

Maybe it's growing older (maturer? Ha! Don't think so.) that tunes you in to your inner esthetic, but I'm often surprised to find the environments that nurture and comfort and inspire me are actually very simple and rustic. I crave small, cozy spaces filled with texture and color and the warmth of wood and stone and clay earth. I love the intimacy of handwrought features; the textured glasses and the unique reclaimed pieces. I love simplistic, straightforward design with natural materials and lots and lots of sunlight. Organic, natural and solid.

I love This. This compact little home in Dunedin, New Zealand that I found on a real estate website. 1000 sq ft and three bedrooms and surrounded by the most beautiful nature one could imagine. And, while chances are slim that New Zealand and I will ever cross paths; I'm thinking maybe I'll email the owners to purchase the blueprints. Cause maybe one day I'll get to build a little house that belongs in my dreams.










4 comments:

Bijoux said...

I love all of those colors too. The only thing I didn't care for was the exposed wood ceilings. It's overkill on the wood for me.
The stained glass around the windows is gorgeous!

flutterby said...

Really? Not the ceilings? That's one of my favorite parts!

:)

That's OK, I still think you're supercool! Exposed wood isn't everyone's Thing. *shrug*

I really, really, really love the glass, too. Actually, doing that kind of thing would be something I'd love to learn. How cool would that be to be able to put your own handiwork into your house and see the sun shine through it everyday?

JodyJ said...

Embrace your inner color-child!! Forgo what one says is in and modern I am totally with you, color, warmth, organic. These rooms screem that someone actually lives in the space and enjoys it.

flutterby said...

JodyJ -- I guess now is as good a time as any to change things up, hey?!