1.16.2009

I'm Pretty Sure This Is All Meaningless.

I'd like to think that all the fabulousness cannot be contained in just one post... but face it. It can be. Here goes.

***********************
I have one more warehouse shift and it happens to be working inventory until almost midnight. My mad counting skills have been claimed by the HABA and OTC (Health and Beauty Aids, Over The Counter) centres, which means that I officially have the WORST warehouse inventory area. I will be crossing my eyes over hundreds of vitamin bottles and tiny boxes. For eight hours. But, I get free candy and drinks (errrr... pop, to be more specific. No coconut rum for me.) which makes up for it a little bit. :) Did I mention that I also get to count condoms? Yay.

***********************
School is kicking into gear for the Princess and I can't tell you how many permission forms I've signed and cheques written for extra-curricular stuff lately. The school has partnered with an Arts program and is offering ROCK 100; putting together two bands of grades 5,6 &7 students and they will be actually creating, marketing and branding a band. Also, they're learning to actually play a few songs and there will be a concert at the end of April. Enrollment was really limited and somehow the Princess snagged a spot. And while I'm all for parental pride and what not, I'm really not all that sure why they chose her as she doesn't play an instrument AT ALL. She does have a lovely little singing voice, but is too shy to actually ever sing in front of people. Anyway, I know she'll love it and hopefully it will spark a bit of a desire to take some lessons with an instrument or something. God knows I've tried to convince the girl... some things are beyond my powers.

***********************
The Kid has two VERY loose front teeth. So loose that every day I look at him, they are pointing different directions. Which is kinda trippy in a gross MyKidFreaksMeOut sort of way. I've been trying to convince him to let me Take A Look, which is parent-speak for Rip Those Suckers Out Of There. (at least, that's been my experience growing up.) but he manages to effectively deny me the opportunity. And honestly, it doesn't take much. I'm woefully unprepared to Rip things out of mouths. The Princess has taken care of all of her own loose teeth; a fact she is quite proud of and I'm most grateful for. The Kid's two bottom teeth came out at my hand, but it was quite the accident as I was just showing him how to wiggle his teeth properly (he tends to be a light touch and just wibble them a bit which we all know will not get one Anywhere where loose teeth are concerned) and they popped out to our mutual surprise.

However, I am finished with being creeped out by the creepy, crooked teeth in the Kid's mouth and am ready to take things a bit more seriously. Any hints, tips or tricks would be greatly appreciately. So long as they don't involve doors and string.

***********************
I am longing for some grilling weather. I'm tired of stews, ragouts and casseroles and other oven-ish stuff. Usually March is my official Break Out the BBQ month, but I'm hoping that we've put in all our time with the super cold weather and maybe temps will break earlier this year. I could handle grilling in February. And, maybe... if the weatherman actually hits the forecast right (0 degrees, baby!), the BBQ might make an appearance this weekend. Man, that would be nice.

***********************
Fresh Meat night with the local Roller Derby club is coming up soon and I'm a little bit obsessed. Six more sleeps, y'all. I've been told to start thinking of a Derby name and number, as, if I make the team I'll have to register one. Derby names are all registered in a national database and must be unique. They must also be a bit nasty and spanky and fun. I've got a few in mind already, but if anyone wants to contribute something -- please feel free to drop me a comment or an email. I'm hitting a free skate today to work on some basic stuff. Ice skating is a bit different than quad skating, of course, but the physics is the same. I already know the Sticky Skate skills and stopping and what not, but I am rusty for sure. Time to brush up. I'll be hurting tomorrow I'm certain.

***********************
We recently ordered some furniture to replace some well-worn (AND HOW!!) pieces upstairs in our family room. I'm so excited to finally move those stinky couches out of there, but I'm a little bit nervous about the new cream-coloured cushions surviving life in the FlutterZone. Maybe it was a poor choice, but there wasn't really anything else that Mr. F. and I could agree on. Perhaps I should hire a couch nanny, whose only job is to sit in the room and shoo away any children with food or drink. Practical? No. But it just may be the thing needed. And, as a bonus, these fragile little cushions may just up the class factor around here and put an end to all the Homer-Simpson-shirtless lounging Mr. F. is prone to do. Imagine that, a lowly cushion may just do the thing that 13 years of wifely Suggestions could not do. I am humbled beyond belief.

***********************
So, now, the weekend. Well, inventory and the weekend. Some skating, some visiting with family and maybe some grilling and then, on to my new job. Have a good weekend y'all.

5 comments:

Desmond Jones said...

Ohmigosh, Flutter, so much stuff here. . .

My younger brother was a similar sort of tooth-coward as yer Kid. Would not allow any fingers to 'see' how his loose tooth was doin'. So one time, his tooth popped out while he was munchin' his corn flakes, so he (or, more likely, our mom) had a couple days of sorting thru poop before he finally passed it. . .

And listen, you can still light the grill in sub-freezing temps; just keep it by the door, so you can check it periodically. . .

You weren't kidding about the Roller Derby thing, were you? I mean, I knew you wuz hard-core, and all, but - dude! The Derby used to come on our local TV station right after the pro-wrestling show (which seemed perfectly appropriate). Always loved the women's names, like Hilda Leadbottom, an' stuff like that ('course, if you're gonna be Hilda Leadbottom, you're probably gonna be about 6-2 and 250, or so. . .which I gather you're not. . .)

JodyJ said...

Flutter you lead one busy exciting life. Good for you to follow through with one of the new things you wanted to try this year. I have yet to even think about it.
Once you get your new furniture into your house post some pics, I wanna see!

Bijoux said...

I always enjoyed inventory days when I worked retail. I was weird that way.

And yes, the snaggletooth look is a bit creepy. I was like, "here, have an apple" trying to get my kids to lose them. Loved when the tooth came out at school and they'd send it home in a film canister plastered with biohazard stickers.

flutterby said...

Desmond -- I think you're thinking of what was known as the Pro Derby circuit which really was a lot like the WWF; scripted, over the top and violent. League derby is rough (like hockey?) but it's not the same, really. Sort of.

JodyJ -- read above to find out the risks of living a "busy and exciting life". You forget to do really important stuff. urrgghh.

Cocotte -- HA! love the apple idea, it's so Disney Witch-ish. "Here, my dear... have a shiny, red apple..."

flutterby said...

Kid made the mistake of opening his mouth too big when standing beside me.

One tooth down and one to go. He barely knew it happened.

:D