1.07.2009

Can You Tell Me How To Get...

The brilliance of Sesame Street dazzled me long past the years of childhood. I loved the quirky muppet humor and the nods to popular culture tucked in amongst the ABCs. One of the things I loved about having kids of my own was being able to watch The Street with them and seeing some of the same classic bits that ran when I was a child. (You know you can't forget the Twelve Pinball Song.) Sure, it's changed and characters have been added, as well as some having sadly been lost to time and illness. For awhile it seemed to be a totally Elmo-driven bus which thankfully seems to have changed.

But, as I've grown older... the Street just doesn't capture my attention anymore. Like a junkie needing a bigger high, I've had to search for a different Street, a better Street. A Street that I can call home.

I've found it here. Yes, I am a Coronation St. addict. Weill, addicc is rilly sooch a harsh word, ayn it?

Let's set aside for a moment that it's technically a show in the "soap" genre which I generally cannot stand (outside of a short penchant for Another World during my lunch hour break at one particular workplace, but that doesn't count cause there was NOTHING ELSE ON.) and consider the merits of Corrie St.

1). Real People. Oh how I love real people. No fashionistas or spray tans and botoxed faces. Just a regular representation of a variety of society's segments and classes. Not every one is a looker. No one holds all the cards. Real People. Astounding concept, this. Try to think of how many shows actually offer this in their cast. The Hills? 90210? LOST? So-called Reality TV? Only found on Corrie St., luv.

2). Real Ages. Oh yes, the diversity of age is there, too. From babies and teens to Uni's and middle-aged and elderly; all the characters have vital parts in the society and plot of this show. I admit to being hooked on seeing this elderly segment of the Street worm their way into the drama.

3). Real Stories. OK, this is pushing it a little. It is a SOAP, after all. But the plots don't push reality all that far. Other than the pushing the statistics that all these events would happen in a small sampling of a community with the regularity that they do, Corrie Street is mostly about the drama of Life. There are a few malevolent characters, but only in that they are so flawed and entitled that the shrapnel of their lives wounds others.

4). Real Characters. Dimensional and varied, the writers have really tried to re-create an actual community with it's unique facets and characters. I think they do a pretty good job.

5.) It spins my head a little. With all the different dialects and accents (a mish-mash which is really the show's greatest incontinuity; considering that many of the characters supposedly have spent their whole lives in this one district.) my brain is kept in gear trying to sort out what's being said. While a bit nutty at first, you do get used to it.

What's your favorite show?

4 comments:

Bijoux said...

I'm not sure we get that show in the states, Flutter. I love the look of the street, though!

My favorite show is 'Top Chef.' I'm fascinated that people create works of art with food in such a short time. And I love Padma. I think she's classy and gorgeous.

My guilty pleasure is 'Real Housewives of Orange County' (can't stand the NYC version though). I think I like them because they're my age and living the California dreamin' lifestyle. I love to love my faves and love to sneer at the ones I think are losers. I'm mean.

FTN said...

As a former employee of a PBS member station, and as a father who has very recently been to see "Sesame Street Live," let me please implore you to come back to our neighborhood.

We've got cookies. A monster dedicated solely to them.

We've got a big gay yellow bird.

Plus we've got The Count, who is, by far, the coolest character ever created.

JodyJ said...

Ok, so I know who got you hooked on Coronation St. it was my dear brother, right? While visiting you all I was forced to watch it and I may sound totally snobish, but I can't get over the teeth thing. Now I am not saying that I have a flawless smile, but the English and the teeth thing, it's all I see whenever I watch that show.
Now you know I am a reality junkie. My favorite shows is probably Biggest Loser. Jillian is my favorite, I love her quotes and I will quote one for you. Contestant- "My legs hurt!!" Jillian- "that's a bummer, guess what else is gonna hurt?" contestant- "what else?" Jillian - "EVERYTHING!!!!!" This women is my idol! In my opinion no better show on T.V
"what have you done today to make you feel proud?" (sing/song)

flutterby said...

Cocotte -- Never watched Top Chef but it sounds interesting. I wonder if it's like this show that the Princess and I happened upon where the contestants had to make an over-the-top wedding cake in one afternoon? We loved it! However, I *have* seen that Housewives show. The brattiness drove me up the freaking wall! But, I could see where it would be addicting, sort of like not being able to stop watching a train wreck. :)

FTN -- LOL! Rest assured, my heart has never left the neighborhood. I have an inner Muppet. It likes cookies, too. Now, admit it... you being a father had nothing to do with going to see Sesame Street Live. That was all about you.

JodyJ -- You guessed it! He got hooked when living in the UK and I, like you, could never handle the show. But lately, it's got me tuning in... I just love the spectrum of society portrayed. But I know what you mean about the teeth. What is it with the British and dentistry? Just watched the premiere (well, most of it) of the new Biggest Loser last night. Wow. I haven't tuned in for a long time but I think I will this season -- I've actually got a post started about the show. And you're right, Jillian is da bomb.