1.13.2009

Kitchen Mojo

Not that kind of kitchen mojo, you freaky, freaky people...

But the kind of mojo that used to have me pencilling out weekly meal plans with all six food groups (I added Chocolate, OK?) and homemade ingredients. The kind of mojo that saw me baking bread once a week and making pancakes on the weekend.

Yes, the kind of mojo that takes time and discipline and actually being home at supper-time. Three things which have been on short supply around here, lately. My family isn't starving... there are nights that I'm home, after all; and often I'll make something ahead when I know I'm working the next day. Mr. F. is getting better at some kitchen stuff, too... surprisingly good, actually. But I feel like I'm starving.

A big part of being a Mom, being a homemaker, is taking care of and providing for your family. There's something really great about knowing that everyone at the table is satisfied and enjoyed their meal and that it was something you Made for them. And after you've spent the biggest part of your Created Family Life defining yourself in this way, it's a bit hard to adjust. To change. To reframe it. I feel pressure to be all that I was before, but also to be More.

Last night, while I was out getting groceries... for the first time ever I bought a pre-made chicken dish (Chicken breasts stuffed with broccoli and cheese) and was struck by the irony. I used to look at that stuff and think "Boy, would it be nice to be able to afford to buy stuff that's already made for me..." but I ended up actually throwing them in my cart as a concession to a work schedule that won't allow me to be home around meal time this week but does allow me the extra money to buy stuff like that. And I didn't like that feeling one bit.

I think that my new job will be an easier sell on the family life; and hopefully this means that my kitchen mojo will return with a vengeance and everything will be back on track once again. As for tonight; Mr. F just called and we're taking the kids out for appy's at two for one night. What a great guy. :)

4 comments:

Bijoux said...

I get it....you really do have to be home to come up with the menus, find the recipes, make out the grocery list, sort thru the coupons, go to the grocery store, put it all away and THEN make the darned stuff.

I've resorted to buying the Perdue shortcut chicken for making casseroles and chicken fajitas.
Crock pots are good too!

Therese in Heaven said...

I do a lot of bulk cooking. I'll make a big batch of something or other (crock pots are a life saver), and then freeze it in small portions that can feed all of us for one meal.

There's a book called "Once a Month Cooking" that is really fabulous, economical, and helps you to serve meals that you made even when you don't have time every day to prepare them.

But in any case, don't beat yourself up about not being able to make everything from scratch right now. You're doing good things for your family, just in a different way. And having the Hubby help out in the kitchen is probably really good for him too.

JodyJ said...

I totally get what your saying. My mom, as you know, wasn't a stay at home mom and on the off day when she had a day off there was nothing better then walking into the house after school and smelling baking, or supper on the go. Tonight as my hubby walked in the door the first words out of his mouth was, "did you make cinnamon buns..hmmmm." I must say it did make me feel good.

flutterby said...

Cocotte -- my biggest issue is I've often been working through the supper-hour, getting home around the kiddo's bedtime. The crock-pot is great, but I really don't have all that many recipes for it.

Therese -- It has been good to get Mr.F. in the kitchen; and I think he secretly likes learning something new, too. I have heard about Once A Month Cooking (might have even read the book) but it sounds way beyond my rudimentary organizational skills. *blush* I'll maybe have to give it another look, though.

JodyJ -- Your post brought up a lot of feelings for me, girl. Also... some hunger pangs cause those cinnamon buns sound awesome. yummy. :D