1.20.2009

Miss Hospitality.

Day Two at my new job as front desk clerk at a little hotel here in Fluttercity is done. I'd like to say what most people say about how they're Not One To Jump To Conclusions but I can't cause I'm totally about the jumping prematurely.

So, on with the jumping! I think I'm gonna like this job. I'm working 8 hour shifts instead of pulling in bits and pieces of 4, 5 & 6 hours at a time which is nice. I don't get any paid breaks, so to speak -- I'm the only one on duty for my shift, so it's not like I can bugger off to get groceries on a break or whatever; but during slow times I can kinda do what I want to so long as my duties are taken care of. Maybe I'll get to catch up on some reading or make insanely large friendship bracelets to give away (only to people who promise not to lose that one-of-a-kind masterpiece!) or learn to burp the alphabet or some other redeeming use of my time.

I like that I can chat up all different kinds of people from all different walks of life and generally be a helpful person which always makes one feel good about their job. The tasks are straightforward and my manager is a pretty decent sort (he thought I was 20, which puts him pretty much Tops in my books!). An older gentleman who takes pride in his job, even though I'm pretty sure it's beneath him in terms of his education and life experience (I think I heard him speak three different languages today). I helped him reorganize his office today. After I decluttered and organized the front desk area during some down time, he came out of the office, took one look around and got an inspired look in his eye. "Come here" he says, and once in the office asks me what I would do to make this all look better. So, we set about to tearing that baby apart and made some pretty good progress.

Hmmm... maybe my true calling is some sort of job as an Organizer. That is an official title, is it not? Flutterby, Organizer Extrordinaire. Sounds good to me. I should maybe try out some of these skills on my house tomorrow as it needs it badly!

One thing I like about myself is that I find it easy to see potential in things. But a big drawback to that is that I find myself taking over stuff and trying to make my Vision come to life. And so, I'm here in this place and I'm redesigning signage (which my manager loved, "Very professional", he said. *grin* I don't think he read my resume very thoroughly!) and thinking about how some fresh paint and fresh flowers could really be a nice touch. And I'm wanting to source out a better supplier for our continental breakfast cause we're going out of the city for the current one and the stuff frankly is sub-par and more expensive than another place I know of. And... I can be a real pain in the butt if I don't stick a sock in it. Which I thankfully know how to do. Most of the time.

Anyway, I'm off to a good start, I think. Now I just have to get used to the 5:30 wake up and I'm golden.

7 comments:

JodyJ said...

So glad to hear things are going well. As for the organization part of you- I've always known it was there. I remember the time, or shall I say times you've re organized my fridge, decluttered my counter and pantry and generally left me feeling like I could breathe again in my own tiny space. You go girl!!

Therese in Heaven said...

All your ideas make you sound like you're going to be a great asset to the business. Good luck, and sorry about the 5:30 wake up call. Hope the bedtime is working out for you!

(The word verification was made for me. Shoue!)

Bijoux said...

How did I miss that you got a new job? I've always thought the front desk at a hotel would be interesting. Are people checking in for business or pleasure? Or are the vast majority truckers?

This should provide you with some good bloggie material.

Desmond Jones said...

Next time I'm in FlutterCity, I'll be sure to check in!

But, listen. . . what would you think about staying a couple days at our house? 'Cuz I'd love to see what kind of magic you could work on our house. . . ;)

FTN said...

I WANT A FRIENDSHIP BRACELET!

Can you make 'anonymous blog sorta friend-ish kinda' bracelets?

I would think working the overnight shift in a big hotel would be interesting. Working the day shift in a small hotel, probably a little less eventful.

Unless you really like cleaning and organizing. So, hey, you're golden.

flutterby said...

JodyJ -- Thanks for the encouragement! Now that you have a bigger place you won't be needing my skills anymore. *sniff* I shed a quiet tear...

Therese -- I don't know if me and a 5:30 wake-up will ever get along. I almost punted the alarm clock out the window that first morning. Hopefully it's something I will get used to, though. Alternatively, I could always just shave my head GI Jane-style and gain about 45 minutes of sleep.

Cocotte -- I've heard some stories already and the Do Not Rent list contains some pretty disturbing stuff. I really don't think my day shift will see all that much of the sordid side of the hospitality industry, though.

Desmond -- And here begins the multi-billion dollar "organizing business" I've always dreamed of starting. Didn't I always dream it? No? Huh.

FTN -- Rest assured that if I ever do start making Anonymous Blog Sorta Friend-ish Kinda braclets, your name is on the list. You like pink, don't you?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on loving the new job .....