12.14.2008

Sold to the Highest Bidder.

The past couple months I've been pimping my skills at our paint store. I love helping people design their space and choose colors and I work with some really wonderful people so that's always enjoyable. Tinting paint is just way more fun than I expected, but then I tend to be all silly and "OOOOOHHHH, LOOK AT THAT..." about lots of stuff, so it's no surprise that the swirling and mixing of vibrant colourants into the bases would captivate my little ferret-brain. And, there's always the odd surprise, like when you tint up a green paint, expecting to see a formula with lots of blue and yellow (just like grade five art class, yes???) and find that the only colourants in it are black and yellow. HUH?!?!? Like I said, it's trippy for this little mush head.

We've been working on revamping our store, so there's been a lot of cleaning and sorting to stay on top of. I've crashed the computer system a time or two, switching out components for nicer, newer bits of sleekness. And, in a smashing moment of brilliance, I brought YouTube viewing to all the employees. One small step backwards for productivity but a giant step forward in employee morale, if I do say so, myself.

I had a few other resumes out in the ether of Fluttercity, though... and this weekend I finished up the last in a series of interviews and was offered a position. (Side note: Do you know how difficult it is to be interviewed about past work performance when your last job was EIGHT YEARS AGO??? I seriously would have done just as well to totally Make Stuff Up as to try and remember that crap. Meh.)

Anyhow, as of Wednesday this little Flutter will be working front end at Costco. Part-time. Seasonal.

I know. I KNOW! The career path doesn't get any more long and winding than this. What can I say, I am a slave to the big bucks. No? Errrr... would you believe that I'm a slave to Costco??

Awwww, you guys know me so well.

And if you treat me nice, I just may let you all know whether or not working there is at all like the movie "Employee of the Month". Cause, really, you can't watch that movie and not wonder if there's a poker game going on up in the stacks or forklift races after hours. And you KNOW that I'm on that action like stink on socks. I am your Inside Man. Girl. Whatever.

The next few weeks are going to be a little bit nuts between working two jobs, hitting the gym and keeping the house from falling apart and my kids in clean underwear. But, I think I'm up for the challenge. I mean, it's not often that one gets called upon to make such a significant contribution to society and all. And, when Costco has given so much to me, how can I not give back? That's what I'm talking about.

5 comments:

Bijoux said...

Congrats on the job!!!! I've never been to a Costco, but I've heard they're nicer than Sam's Club.

I too am in the market for a part-time job. However, trying to make 19 YEARS of unemployment as a SAHM sound like a worthy career skill is no small feat.

Can I include "blogger" on my resume?

JodyJ said...

Flutter congrats, I know you WANTED this, hey this may be good for the ole wallet also, you'll get your Costco fix without having to spend some money!

Desmond Jones said...

Well, given the current, uh, automotive uncertainty, Molly has joined you in the job market, a place she hasn't been in 26 years (sorry, Cocotte; I'm really not trying to play 'Can You Top This?'). She does have a degree that actually matters for some of the positions she's applying for, but yeah, I sympathize with the whole, 'wow, does this ever complicate life' scenario. . .

But, heck, I bet your kids are just falling all over themselves to express their gratitude for all the clean underwear, right?

flutterby said...

Cocotte -- The SAHM gig is definitely and unfortunately not really looked upon as career-building. But, still so very worth it. Good luck in your job hunt. I think that Sam's Club's are a U.S. thing -- I've never been to one, but perhaps the concept is the same.

JodyJ -- Thanks. I keep reminding myself that this will only help my wallet out *if* I can manage to not buy all the really great Stuff I see while I'm working there. :)

Desmond -- It's weird, while one would think that it would be ME spazzing about how much life is going to change (after all, it is Me that will be adding more working hours and all that), it is Mr. F. who is spazzing about how this will change his life/lifestyle. WORD to all the husbands of stay-at-home women. Appreciate what it is you have when the little woman's at home! We make things pretty easy for you. (I'll put away my soapbox, now.)

FTN said...

If you see Dane Cook working at Costco, kindly do us a favor and punch him in the face.

Oh who am I kidding, that movie was hilarious. Good luck at the 'co.