12.11.2008

If Anyone Sees My Pride Walking By, Could You Please Send It Back Home to Me?

First time back at the gym in for-freaking-ever and I was so not prepared.

I was not prepared for the fact that my favorite little pair of low-rise grey yoga sweats hugged my booty more than before. It appears that when you sit on your arse for three months and eat more than you should... the booty? It grows. Really, should not be a surprise and yet, strangely? It was.

I was not prepared for being nervous to go to a co-ed gym. My last gym was a Ladies Only thing-ey and while Krav was co-ed... it was just Different. Thankfully it was not a busy night and I was only moderately shamed by the sexy skinny girlies in their workout gear and just slightly intimidated by the buff college dudes lifting ridiculous amounts of weight.

I was not prepared and forgot my water bottle in the car. Which might not be bad if I wasn't such a mouth-breather during sprints. Seriously, a mouth full of desert sand would feel better than that parched mess of lips and tongue I called my own after sprint intervals. Yuck.

I was not prepared to open my gym bag in the change room and have my eyes well up with tears... really, real TEARS at the sight and smell of my leather sparring gloves. I wanted so bad to put them on, but knew that for sure I'd be a blathering mess if I did. So I just held them to my nose like a freaky little freak and wondered what the HECK was going on with me that I'd be so messed up by this.

I was not prepared to be so disgusted with myself about how much progress I'd lost. Strength, cardio, flexibility. Gone. Tonight I only tackled about 25 mins of interval training and some ab/core work (about 1/4 of what I previously did) and, while I can't say that it Finished me... I do think I'll feel it a bit tomorrow, which really sucks and shows just how far things have regressed.

*******************
Right then. So, what I'm going to do is take this awful, negative experience and channel it into some good, old fashioned FUEL for CHANGE. Also known as Crazy Attitude that will keep me working and pushing and smiling through all manner of bodily punishment. *wink* That's me... the hard-core chiquita with the regrettably snug yoga sweats.

5 comments:

Therese in Heaven said...

Hey, at least you're getting back into it. That's what's important.

I've never been into it, so working out regularly is putting my body into shock.

JodyJ said...

First of all, hugz, don't beat yourself, at least you were at the gym tonight instead of staying home to watch Grey's Anatomy which by the way was a rerun. Anway just tackle it one day at a time, you've done it before, you'll do it again. YOu still look amazing!!! Go get ém tiger!!

Bijoux said...

I'm too embarrassed to go back to my workout place because I haven't been there since April and the same guy always works the desk.

Husband says I should just find a new place!

Desmond Jones said...

Yeah, what Jody said. . . You'll get back into it. No sense beating yourself up, just do the work, and it'll come. . .

Years ago, I used to put 2000-3000 miles/yr on my bike, and 35-40 miles at a time was no big deal. Then I got away from it for a few years, and when I finally decided to get back on the bike, 5 miles about killed me. 5 miles! But, I'm finally back to the 35-40 milers, and this past year, I did over 1400 miles.

So, if I can get my workout mojo back, at my age, so can you. And it probably won't take long at all. . .

flutterby said...

Therese -- Way to go on the 5K, despite the battle wounds, even!!

JodyJ -- Thanks, girl! baby steps...

Cocotte -- Awww... I'm sure the guy will only just be glad to see you. But, I can definitely empathize with your thoughts and feelings about heading back. Been there, done that. Bought the T-shirt, etc.

Desmond -- I love cycling! I think I'll be buying myself a bike this spring, but I can't imagine posting miles like you!! Thanks for the encouragement.