12.16.2008

Cuts You Up.



Sometimes I'll hear a song for the first time, only to have an odd sense of deja vu over a lyric -- particularly metaphors -- that I've used in my journalling or writing before. Whatever the reason for this collective shared consciousness, be it fanciful or explainable, it never fails to spin my head a bit.

I first heard this song just yesterday. Apparently it's been around a long time (think 1990), albeit a somewhat obscured existence. I've not had opportunity to listen to Peter Murphy's larger body of work, or appreciate his artistry -- which apparently is great and notorious. (but, what would I know...) -- the jury is still out as to whether I can say I "love" this one. But, hearing this song brought one of those deja vu moments to me and for that alone it deserves some blog space.

Long live the metaphor.

****************************
While I may not absolutely LURRRRVVVE this song as a whole, I will say that I am awed by the man's glacial eyes. And possibly the carved cheekbones.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yep, that sounds late 80's early 90's .....


And I woulda never 'spekted you fer going fer the emaciated scrawny types ... ;-)



disturo - explains a lot, huh?

Bijoux said...

I love a good deja vu!

flutterby said...

Xavier -- Oh no... I'm not attracted to his looks in the least. Just that some of his features have an artistic purity that would be believable on a statue or some classic portraiture.

Cocotte -- I agree. :)

Sombra said...

Guess you never saw him live in concert on a date before you were married eh.. and been listening to this song every year for the last 18 or so.. because YOU are not married to STUART!...

flutterby said...

Sombra -- somehow I'm not surprised that Stuart is a fan. I think that there are some connections between Reznor and Murphy, collaborations and what not.