12.15.2008

Brrrrrrrrr...ing it On!

I promised myself I wouldn't yak on about the cold again on my blog. So, instead I will tell you all the many and varied ways I employed to keep myself warm today.

1) Went to the gym. This was by far the best thing for staying warm. I started SimpleFit level four (20 mins; 26 pull-ups(modified), 52 push-ups, 78 olympic squats (20#)... I'm so going to be hurtin' tomorrow) and then wrapped my slick, sweaty self into my parka and drove home with the steam puffing from the top of my damp head. Didn't even feel the chill.

2) Clunky, Fuzzy Winter Boots and Ski Gloves. Now, if someone would invent a way to plug these into something that would make them roasty, toasty warm... a thought which inspired my next attempt at keeping warm.

3) Hair Dryer. Yes, it was chilly in the store today and the hair dryer that we use to dry paint samples found it's way under my shirt a few times today and maybe even down my pants (At which Mr. F. could only ask "What in the world are you doing?" and I could only reply "Warming up dinner, baby"... heh heh). But we won't talk about that one. Lucky hair dryer, huh? :D

4) Jumping jacks. Reference #1. Thought this might help. It didn't really do much.

5) Extra clothes. Self explanatory. I also felt a little embarrassed by the lecherous stare of the hair dryer after our little rendezvous and felt I should cover up.

********************************

I have to go out tonight to get groceries and I cannot tell you how much I'm dreading it. But, unless I want to pack dry crusts and moldy cheese for my kid's lunch (How Hansel and Gretel of me, hey?) I really need to go out shopping.

********************************

Last night I totally re-did the Princess' room. Her room used to have a loft bed, but this summer she got a regular twin-sized bed. (which is apparently, soooooo much more grown up, Mom, like, REALLY.) It was set up in the same place as the loft bed, which was no biggie in the summer time, but come winter time... it's quite obvious that the heat register is blocked by it's placement. And a chilly Princess is a grumpy Princess.

So, last night I rearranged her furniture, which also meant vacuuming and wiping baseboards and sorting through her toys and papers and -- holy cow, the girl has STUFF. I swapped out her big computer desk for a smaller one and threw out at least a gigawatt of junk. I found some missing socks and CDs and was very thankful that I don't allow her to eat in her room as I certainly would have found regrettable rotten stuff, as well. I also slipped a fleecy blanket under her flannel sheet for warmth and added a down throw to her bed.

The Princess usually doesn't like change, not one bit. But, I think she was pretty pleased to see the new configuration of her room. And, now that things are a bit more streamlined, it should make it easier for her to maintain. Cause I was reminded that I need to expect much more from her in this area and we've had a talk to that effect. HandiPoints chore charts have been explained and Mom is in drill sergeant mode. I'm trying to find the right mix of Benevolent and Scary. Will let you all know how that works out.


********************************


Mr. F. and I have volunteered to be a part of the Ronald McDonald House. There will be a home opening in Fluttercity in the near future and I am so excited to help out.


About nine years ago, the Princess needed a couple surgeries that involved us travelling to another province's Children's Hospital for a week each time. The Ronald McDonald House was a huge blessing to our family then, providing a home away from home where it was easy to function as usual; cooking, accomodating a toddler, hanging out, etc. We met some incredible and unforgettable families and children there and we always vowed we'd find a way to give back.


We spoke with the Executive Director last week and are simply waiting to hear what needs to be done. :)


********************************
This week, I'm signing the grommets up for ski lessons at our local "mountain". I've decided that, what with selling all our worldly goods and moving to warmer climates being a bit too far out of reach, we will have to find ways to enjoy this season we call The Freaking Freezing Cold Part of the Year (traditionally known in many cultures as Winter). I have vague memories of actually Liking this season growing up and it largely had to do with being able to go downhill skiing. The prairie town I grew up in had a ski hill close by... nothing at all like the mountains, mind you... but I daresay it was the envy of the province when it comes to skiing as it's the most "mountain-like" (and if that just isn't the saddest commentary of prairie living, I don't know what is.) So, along with a bit of territorial pride in this ski hill came the snobbish derision of all other provincial ski hills (and surprisingly, there are a few). Needless to say, it actually bothers me a bit that my kids will be learning to ski on *nose in the air* THAT excuse of a ski hill.


But, learn they will. I'm actually really looking forward to skiing and boarding again. (although my snowboarding efforts were sub-par and injury-ridden... maybe I'll rethink the snowboarding!) Hopefully the ski hill isn't too much of a disappointment. I know that there's a pretty active Alpine club here, which is great. There's a trip to Kimberly, BC in the works for the New Year and if the grommets catch on fast, we might just join in the fun.


Vive la SNOW~!

9 comments:

Bijoux said...

I used to love skiing. But Husband has never been, so that activity dropped out of sight once we got hitched. Hope the kids catch on fast.

Ronald McDonald volunteering will be awesome.

Anonymous said...

Yep, love that skiing but Queenie (and now the brats, erm girls) hate it so what's a guy to do? And the fellas I used to ski with all moved South ....

Hopefully the tikes'll love it for ya ....




buffer

FTN said...

Warming up dinner, baby. Oh, I'm still chuckling.

I'm numerous hours away from anything that would allow skiing, but I was able to go once or twice when I was teenage-ish. I discovered that I didn't like the little beginner bunny hills (mostly because it's embarrassing skiing with 6 year olds when you are 16). I loved the intermediate hills-slash-"mountain," and I could speed down that hill. Although I, regretfully, never learned the art of "turning." If you were in my way, you were going down.

And to stop, I usually had to run into a tree, or just fall down. Maybe some lessons are in order?

Desmond Jones said...

Why, just yesterday, I hit the gym for my usual 30-min rowing session that leaves me pretty sweaty and wrung-out. Rather than shower and dress in my street clothes, I just threw on my coat and ran out to the car (in 10F air - what's that, about -12C?). When I got to the car, steam was swirling off my body, just sitting there in the not-yet-heated air inside the car. . .

And my goodness, 6F rearranges her bedroom somewhere between monthly and weekly. Seriously. She has girlfriends over, and they rearrange her room. I won't even speculate as to how many coats of paint she's applied to the walls, in the eight years or so that she's been in that room. . .

We do have a few real-live ski hills in the northern part of Michigan, but for the most part, especially in the southern part where I live now, they're mostly just big ol' trash piles that somebody bull-dozed smooth and installed a tow-rope on. . .

And, uh, I dunno. . . it doesn't seem right for me to jealous of yer hair-dryer. . . But "warming up dinner, baby" had me on the floor. . .

flutterby said...

Cocotte -- I'm always amazed at how often people end up giving up hobbies, sports, etc. for being Grown Up... KWIM?

Xavier -- Oh no... I've not even yet CONSIDERED that my kids won't love it. Fingers are crossed, now. :) Too bad that you lost your ski buddies... maybe there's a club you can join and meet some new ones?

FTN -- I can't take total credit for my quick wit... actually just was presented with the prime opportunity to bring a naughty joke to life and make Mr. F. laugh.

My friend, I hate to say it, but you weren't Skiing. What you did was called Sliding Maniacally Down the Face of a Mountain. I'm sure the moments in between crashes were lots of fun, though! :D

Desmond -- I'll be glad for the day when the Princess has Room Cleaning/Rearranging/Painting parties. Well, maybe not the painting, but I'm open to the rest of it!

Most of the ski hills in SK are exactly what you described "snowy trash heaps", which is why the Hill of My Youth was envied as it was the Real Deal with Treed Runs and what not. Honestly, I think that the hill here, close to Fluttercity, is the "real thing", too. I'll have to reserve judgement until I see it, I guess.

Desmond Jones said...

Who said anything about 'cleaning'?

Desmond Jones said...

And your loft reminded me of when we moved out of our previous house. I'd built a loft for the three boys (3M, 4M, 5M) in a last desperate effort to make a viable three-boy space out of a 10-by-12 room. And I was NOT looking forward to having to disassemble it when we moved out. So, when we got a full-price offer, and the buyers asked us if we'd be OK with leaving them the loft, we were kinda, "Well, OK, if you really want it" but inwardly pumping our fists. . .

Anonymous said...

Sadly I'm no longer rich 'nuff to be able to talk myself into skiing around here no more. Dropping over $50 (all expenses included) for an afternoon of entertainment seems kinda steep when I can hunt and split wood for far less and get much more out of it.


hotsee!

flutterby said...

Desmond -- I've kissed off a few items of furniture like that, too. High five!

Xavier -- Well, while I've never thought of a day spent splitting wood as a day well spent... I can understand the reluctance to shell out big money for a day on the slopes.