11.18.2008

Trick or Treat?

One of my husband's pet peeves is Surprises. Somewhere in his DNA -- probably sandwiched between his poor, overworked Control gene and the sturdy Planning gene -- is the little rung in the ladder responsible for his having to know everything that's going to happen before it happens.

Which makes me wonder whether it's more important to encourage Nature or Nurture.

I've found out that one of Mr. F's favorite comedians is coming to our city this weekend and managed to get two tickets (cause, hello... I like to laugh, too!). I've got a babysitter lined up and all is set to go.

So... do I do the compassionate thing and tell him what I've got planned?

Or, do I torture him gleefully with the fact that I'm taking him out and he has no idea what we're doing? Sky diving? Giving blood? Skateboarding? Ballet?

I'm trying really hard to suppress Evil Flutterby, but the temptation is great, people.

What do you think?

8 comments:

Desmond Jones said...

Well, I like surprises, so my instinct would be to leave him hanging. But, if you think it would only piss him off, maybe you don't leave him hanging very long. . .

Bijoux said...

Maybe tell him you that you got tickets to something and he should wear his normal attire. If he's really curious, he can probably figure it out himself. Just tell him if he figures it out, to act surprised anyway.

Anonymous said...

I think you shouldn't ask my opinion. I like surprises. Or I mean I think I would like surprises. Rather, there is a possibility that a good surprise could be a good experience. But, um, Queenie is terrible at the surprise thing and, well, so far they've been either bad surprises or mixed surprises (good and bad) and, well, when the bad parts hit I don't handle it quite so well and that makes it worse and, um, OK too much said ....

But I think I'd like a good surprise. Ask me again when I've had one .... :-)

JodyJ said...

Is this a fair question for me to answer seeing that he's my brother and all. MAKE HIM WAIT. Tease him about giving blood, or whatever will make him squirm, oh I wish I could be there to see his face.
Is the comedian R.P?? If it is make sure to tell him to wear an adult diaper- he'll need it- that should also get his mind going in so many disturbing directions he may get freaked out.
Let me know how it goes!!

Bijoux said...

Ok, I wish Jodyj was my sister-in-law.

FTN said...

I think that an evening of sky diving, giving blood, skateboarding, and ballet might just be the perfect date.

flutterby said...

desmond -- taken under advisment. :)

xavier -- I'll be sure to ask ya!

jodyj -- it may not be fair, but I'm glad you, too, enjoy tormenting Mr.F. I only wish it was Russel Peters in town. But Gerry Dee should be a good show as well. I'm really looking forward to it!

Cocotte -- Step away from the sister-in-law. She is MINE. :D

FTN -- yeah, see... it SOUNDS like fun, but I know I'd manage to combine giving blood and skateboarding into ONE event and that would be a downer.

Sombra said...

part of being married is being bent out of shape by your helpmeet. they stretch us, we stretch them