11.20.2008

I'm Shameless.


There's been quite a buzz going around about the movie Twilight. It's a movie targetted for the tween/teen set which normally is not my M.O.

(OK. I confess. I heart, you, Jonas Brothers.)

But, really... in general I try to act at least a little bit grown up. *snicker* Just cause I have kids *snort* and am supposed to be a responsible adult *bwahahmufflemuffleha* and all. No, really. I am mostly, almost really responsible practically whenever I can be. Pinky swear.

After hearing a few people talking about the movie and being stuck in a waiting room with a magazine article profiling the lead actors, I admit to being a bit curious and thinking that I might want to go check out what all the buzz was about. But, I have this thing about books that have been made into movies.

I really like to read the book first. Like, I pretty much HAVE to.

So, when I saw the softcover copy on sale for only $6.99 (XOXOXOXOXOXOX Costco!) I grabbed it and started reading while I waited for Rocket to get some TLC in the shop. (A matter for which I sheepishly refer you to one of my responses in the post below. Rocket is still giving me the silent treatment).

I am now certain of a few things.

1) I need to write a novel. Quickly. True, I have no clue what to write about, nor how to go about starting, working on or finishing a novel. But I'm pretty certain I could do it all the same. I get the idea that this author really didn't know what she was doing, either. I'd like to think that she knew -- and really, one has to think that she did, what with the gazillions of dollars she'll be making from the series and motion picture -- but I have my doubts.

2) A central, male character can only be described as "Beautiful" and "Perfect" for so long until one gets a wee bit irritated and tempted to huck a thesaurus in the author's direction. Also, one begins to think of said character as a girly-man which ruins entirely the premise of primal attraction which the author is painstakingly attempting to create.

3) I will watch the movie. All said... despite my many irritations with the Writing of the story; it remains a good Story. Intriguing, dark and interesting. I'm anxious to see if the screenplay and the actors can lend some more depth and chemistry to their characters.

4) I wonder what my blood smells like.

5) I'm mad at myself for not being able to put the book down.

6) I'm such a teenage girl.

7 comments:

Bijoux said...

I was glad to read your review of the book! People with teenage girls have been telling me the book is "sensual without being sexual"(like that's a good thing). I'm not sure that's the message I want to be giving my girls, but whatever!

And if you decide to write a book, remember, you've got to dumb it down to appeal to the masses.

FTN said...

You are SO goth.

I'm rather fascinated that you can say the book is that badly written, yet the story is good. If anything is that badly written, it makes it quite annoying for me to read, no matter how fascinating the plot is. (Come to think of it, I feel that way about a number of blogs, too.)

(Not yours, though.)

That being said, I'm going to write a novel. I'll write it REALLY well, but it will have a terrifically dumb story. I wonder how that will go over.

Therese in Heaven said...

Until about three days ago, I hadn't heard of Twilight at all. Isn't it annoying when you feel there was a really good idea but it was executed poorly? I usually find that's the case with most books-to-movies I've seen.

Anonymous said...

For goodness' sake darling, you've been duped!! All them people making the buzz don't wanna be the only ones duped so they're conning all they can into going all the way with them! Don't do it, save yourself!!

But I will SOOO read your book ... and come to the first signing ....

flutterby said...

cocotte -- I agree, this certainly isn't what I want my girl to be reading. Which begs the question what I'm doing reading it, but I'll save that for another post sometime. There's not more than a handful of smooches written about, which by some people's standards is a good thing. But, on the other hand, there is a whole lot of angsty desire and dangerous attraction.

FTN -- I didn't mean to rip on the author's writing so badly. It's a genre, right? And you just have to go with that. But, for coming up with such interesting characters (and they have such potential), there doesn't seem to be much depth there. Like I said, it's a genre. But, I do like the premise of the story and some of the dramatic elements that are present there.

I think that book you want to write has already been written by Douglas Adams and it was genius.

Therese -- I agree, although there are a couple notable exceptions in my mind. I can't believe you haven't heard of Twilight, yet... it seems everytime I turn around someone's talking about it, there's some feature on the cover of a magazine or other such article. Maybe it's just a Canuck thing?

Xavier -- yeah, "duped" might be just the word. Thanks for the vote of confidence, though. I'm glad to know that my novel would have at least ONE reader. :)

JodyJ said...

I like totally think, like, that there is, you know, like a teenage girl in like all of us, ya know.

flutterby said...

jodyj -- Like, I so totally KNOW.

:)