11.13.2008

The One Where I Talk Too Much About Nothing.

Yesterday, Mr. F. acquired four tickets for a sporting event that evening. I use the term "EVENT" rather loosely... this is not an NHL venue... but it involves sticks and skates and cold arena seating and nachos and mini cini donuts (yummm.) which more than makes up for the lack of, shall we say, Importance. It's all about the experience, right?

So, without further ado... some highlights and lowlights from the evening.

- Sneaking non-arena food into the arena. Did I? Did I? DID I EVER. Now, I realize that Danger like this is foreign to many of you, but I regularly step it out on the Serpentine so this was no big. My favorite black XOXO bag muled in a couple water bottles and a sweet bag of pink (PINK!) m&m's. Sure, this was no Black Ops Special Unit, but I tell you that the ticket checker at the entrance was looking me over pretty good and had I not been calm, cool and collected, the whole thing could've fallen down around me faster than fast.

- Kidlets loved it. And how can you not enjoy your kids loving stuff? Really? The Kid was dancing and gyrating and half mooning the camera, trying to get his wicked little self on TV, the intermission entertainment (Hamster Ball... classic stuff!) had them rolling with laughter and the Princess was strangely entertained by the fights. (like mother, like daughter... I know.)

- I really don't like fries that much. But, Arena Fries? Straight from the potato gods, I swear it. I stole some of the Princess' and I think that the look in my eyes might have scared her a bit.

- Arena rock. Loud, pounding classics and jumped up jams. DJ did us right last night (and yeah, I totally meant to be uncool when I said that).

- Lowlights? Our team lost.

-My sinuses were having a full-out Tantrum last night which meant that my head was pounding and I had to head to the washroom at intermission to LOSE IT (and by "it" I mean the pink m&m's) cause that's just what happens to my body when my head is being, oh, crushed into oblivion. Also happens during childbirth, but we won't go there this time. Thank me later.

- There was a small army of six-year old boys from a hockey team sitting behind us. Which meant that the Kid was being especially obnoxious and all TOUGH KID to his Mommy (I get it, though... still don't appreciate it.) and they were being incredibly loud and burpy and farty and well... OK, they were being six year old boys. And had I been feeling better I think I would have just laughed at it. But, I wasn't and I didn't. Nuff said.

- Our team lost. Did I mention that?

*********************************
But, it was a pretty cool way to spend an evening and I hope we do it again sometime. I think I'll leave my head at home, though. I'll probably have more fun without it.

9 comments:

Desmond Jones said...

I truly enjoy those 'non-major-league' sports venues. We've had a minor-league baseball team in OurTown for the last 12 years or so, and those games are a lot of fun, in large part because they just don't take themselves quite so seriously as the major-league team that plays a couple hours away.

And, if I wanna drive an hour in the opposite direction, I can see either minor-league hockey or hoops. To say nothing of the major-college stuff to be seen right here at home. I tell ya, the possibilities are just limitless. . .

JodyJ said...

I so could see Noah being all bad ass if there was some kids sitting behind us trying to prove their manhood. Us Mommies get a raw deal sometime, but take heed, we can take it out on them later with extra chores and forced kisses and hugs... Oh and don't forget forcing "I love you Mommy" out of them either.

Anonymous said...

I've been to major, minor, college, and high school games many times over the years. I'll take the minors over any but High School. Nothing like being one of a few thousand fans, unless it's being one out of a few hundred. I like them odds!


moppyrin

Bijoux said...

I'm all about sneaking the food in too. I remember getting stopped once by a bag checker who questioned all the juice boxes. Uh lady, my kids are two and four and they don't drink pop and you don't sell juice. The nerve!

And now I refuse to pay $3 for a bottle of H20. Glad you had fun; sorry about your noggin.

FTN said...

I WANT SOME ARENA NACHOS.

I grew up going to IHL hockey games all the time. Those were the days.

Oh, and hey... We will, we WILL, rock you.

flutterby said...

desmond -- sounds like you live in a happening locale, des. We have one "major league" team, here -- but the season just ended. Badly.

jodyj -- Hmmmm, I like the dark and sinister approach to mothering. :)

xavier -- I've not watched much high school sports -- I suppose I'll get Mine once my kiddos grow up more.

cocotte -- I hear you about the water! It's not like I cart in a whole picnic or anything; we always end up "supporting" the arena food vendors, just can't handle paying crazy prices for tap water and don't care to have the kiddos have soda pop at night.

ftn -- I will fed ex you some nachos, STAT. Hope you like the furry, green variety!

Therese in Heaven said...

I've never been to a hockey game, but that's kind of a big deal here. Obviously not to me, though.

The possibility of good fries, though, might be incentive enough to go.

flutterby said...

So, let me get this straight... you and RS have gone on a date to a gun show, but have never gone to a Fry Game? Errrr... HOCKEY game????

:D

Desmond Jones said...

I know it! Eh, Flutter? And multiple Stanley Cups just a quick drive up the road, too! 'Course, here in Michigan, we've been the least bit spoiled just lately. . .

And hey, it looks like yer Roughriders had a pretty good year; just didn't quite do it in the playoffs. . .