11.19.2008

Small Stuff

Driving home from work today, the universe smiled upon me and Rocket and bestowed a moment upon us that was all Sweetness and Perfection. Now, I am not a gear-head by any stretch of the imagination, but Rocket and I have some great chemistry and every so often things just line up for us.

I was enjoying the home stretch of freeway, music was loud and fun and traffic light. As I approach the exit, I see the traffic lights winking at me and I know that we will have our Moment.

Normally this approach is all clogged up onto the thoroughfare... but I saw my opening, the light changed and I nailed it into the merge to hit it just right. Braking and downshifting before it's apex, I was all Danica Patrick-ish with the quick shoulder check and gearing up out of the corner. And then, in a moment so perfect that I swear beams of light shone down and the shimmering voices of angels accompanied Rocket's engine... I saw the Moment. I took the Moment.

Yeah, that's right. One sweeping, smooth FOUR LANE CHANGE through traffic for me.

I swear, I get all giggly and giddy just thinking about it. And that might be sad. It really may be. But sometimes it's the small stuff that puts a smile on your face and that's just fine by me. It was fine with Rocket, too.

8 comments:

Bijoux said...

I get it. Don't you love it when you feel at one with your car and you are moving right along with it?

Unfortunately, I had the opposite last night when it was white knuckle driving in a blizzard!

JodyJ said...

I can only imagine what it feels like to have a engine under you that actually has some power. ( I am talking about a car engine people)
I have been driving a mini van for about 4 years, and while I know they are safe, and a soccer mom's dream, something inside me longs for the days of POWER!
Next time I'm in your neck of the woods let's take rocket for a spin, maybe I could drive ;O)

Sombra said...

I can't remember the last time "I" was in the driver's seat at that spot - I've had a chauffeur for the last 12 months. He got his license yesterday, he'll be driving his own truck now..

6 months left until I get a new chauffeur for a year.

HE DID IT! Elias just now, for the first time ever, flipped from back to front!

flutterby said...

Cocotte -- Yeah, the great moments are pretty fleeting. Last night it was icy and blizzard-ey here, too. I was decidely much less Danica Patrick-ish. :)

Jodyj -- Your wish is my command, my sweet! I'm still yearning for that summer road trip but, I guess this summer is Out, isn't it? Maybe the next?

Sombra -- I meant to congratulate Trent on his licence! No doubt his good score was due in part to all the practice you allowed him. I'm going to have a hard time letting go of the wheel... which will be NOTHING compared to the hard time Mr. F. will have letting go of the wheel. :) What was that you said about getting bent out of shape? That will be the score, for sure.

JodyJ said...

Flutter- I am all for our Thelma and Louise summer, do you think a baby attached to my breast would put a downer on that?? :O)

Desmond Jones said...

Wow. . . impressive. . .

I'm tempted to profess astonishment that a road exists up there in the Frozen North, upon which a four lane change would actually be possible. But I suspect that would only get me in trouble, so I'll refrain. . .

FTN said...

Years of video game driving has done you well.

Also, I might be available for the Brad Pitt role if you guys are gonna go all Thelma and Louise anytime soon.

flutterby said...

Jodyj -- I'm all for In Car Nursing. I suspect the guys driving past us will be, too. :)

Desmond -- Thank you. I will admit that there are precious few places in Fluttercity that offer that opportunity. Thankfully, one of them is on my way home. :)

FTN -- Video game driving?? Pshaw... this is all raw, natural talent, Buddy.

Err... we'll just overlook the fact that Rocket visited the shop today cause later on that night, whilst driving in icy, blizzard-ey conditions I managed to kiss a rim on the curb and ended up with a flat. :( Not a promising start to the winter road season. Gah!