3.02.2012

Sunshine and Rainbows?

I won't lie. Homeschooling isn't always pretty. In fact, there have been more days in the past few weeks (months??) that have almost resulted in Blunt Force Trauma than I care to think about. Days that I fear that all my hopes for homeschool and helping the Kid overcome some of his challenges with Attention and Concentration are for nothing and that all I'm doing is catering to his deficits, rather than pushing him beyond his limitations.

And his attitude. And my attitude. *shakes head* It's a wonder that my kitchen table doesn't have a concave erosion from the regular pounding of my head against it.

It's not all bad, to be sure. But it's been enough "Bad" lately that the balance of that Pros/Cons list of School vs. Homeschool has been tilted. Next year's curriculum sits unopened in a box because even though I am so excited to dig into it (and you have no idea how geeky-excited I am about this stuff!) it remains a possibility that I might be sending it back. I'm not sure what to do. I'm not one of those homeschoolers that thinks public school is an evil scourge visited upon our children. It's just one imperfect option. Just as homeschooling is likewise an imperfect option. Homeschooling simply fit the Kid's particular needs and our particular situation the best, at this time.

So yes. Frustration. Lots of it.

Just a couple weekends ago, in the midst of the Crud Days, we ended up making a trip to Edmonton to see a Naturopath (the Dr. kind, not the practitioner kind). The Kid has a host of symptoms that conventional medicine wasn't doing much for. Anyhow, It's been a week since we started his treatment -- nothing crazy: some trace minerals, healthy gut bacteria (a specialized strain that he lacks), and some CoQ10/NADH and enzymes.

I've been somewhat skeptical (who, me???) -- even though I am a great supporter of alternative medicine and treatments, our doctor's explanation for many of his symptoms (particularly the troublesome ones such as Anxiety and ADD-symptoms) seemed so very simplistic.

But I sit here during our lunch break... AMAZED at the difference I've seen in my boy, especially today. He has been eager to work, focused (well, much more focused that usual!), compliant. A freakin pleasure to be around and teach.

And, he amazes me with everything he's stored in his head. Today, reading a reference in History about Thomas Alva Edison, he excitedly starts telling me -- no, TEACHING me -- all these random facts about Edison and happenings in his life. WHO IS THIS KID?!?!?!? And then later, the same thing about the Wright Brothers. I could only shake my head in amazement.

Now, it is entirely possible that this morning was just one sunshiney oddity in the middle of a cloudy patch. But, I must say that I am pretty curious -- and hopeful -- that perhaps our good doctor might have actually nailed his diagnosis. And I can't help but be hopeful that I might just end up opening that box, yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, a little sunshine to break up the rain. Here's hoping for a period of draught! ;-)

Bijoux said...

I hope it works......I have my doubts too, but only you can know for sure......

Props to you for going the homeschool route. Just helping Middle Child with homework for the past 14 years has been enough to do me in a number of times.

Craig said...

Interesting. . . Let us know how it plays out, long-term. . .

I have only the utmost respect for home-schoolers. We had a couple brief runs of home-schooling, when one of our kids was, um, between schools. I enjoyed it, but it was a big commitment of time/energy. And of course, a lot hangs on the motivation of the student; when you've only got one, it can get a little frustrating. . .

WordVer = 'ichMe'; todays German lesson. . .