3.25.2012

Once Bitten, Twice Shy.

Over two years ago I served a term on my League's Board of Directors.

Sweet merciful crap.

Now, I may not be the smartest person, but I am bright enough to know that I didn't want to do that again. Ever. In the years since, I have served on many committees in the league -- more than my share, the truth be told -- but have simply declined any nominations that come my way each term for a BOD position. I have no interest stepping in that arena (and I chose that word carefully and deliberately) again.

So, would someone please tell me how it is that I find myself this morning prepping for my first Board of Directors meeting for this upcoming term?

7 comments:

flutterby said...

In explanation. No one slipped drugs in my drink or held a gun to my head. I was just backdoored the day of the AGM. It was decided that the Chair of the Jr.Derby committee was now a BOD position.

Guess which lucky person is the Chair of that lovely committee?

Thankfully, it was also voted that our BOD term be changed to reflect our Fiscal Year. Which means that the term I serve will be 30% shorter than normal.

Thank heavens for small miracles. And potluck meetings. I will be the one in the corner munching pistachios and slurping a giant slurpee and then slumping in a food coma for the duration of the meeting.

Anonymous said...

Well congrats!! They musta really wanted to to trick you in like that. An who wouldn't??

Craig said...

What a great honor!

(*heh-heh-heh*)

Bijoux said...

Boards of any sort are one of those Dante's circle of hells. FOR SURE!

Suldog said...

Ugh. I've served on boards, and managed (softball) teams. Sometimes it's more like babysitting than managing. Best of luck!

flutterby said...

Thanks everyone. Xavier, I especially like your take on things. I will heretofore consider this an APPOINTMENT to the BOD. LOL

Anonymous said...

That's the only way to look at it. Then you run for your life ......