3.22.2012

Grateful.

The Kid has a few nicknames... Nitro is one of them. He earned it young and he earned it fair; he's always going full out and loud.

It's one of his endearing qualities -- to be so full of "vim and vigor" as my Grandpa used to say -- but also something that gets him ripped on from time to time. And sometimes, I fear that I spend too much time talking about the testy side of his Nitro nature to others.

I was reminded today of just how many very cool things I've seen lately, little glimpses of his heart, of the man I hope he'll grow to be.

He writes a letter to his sister just about every night and has done for some time, now. They are folded in quarters and put in envelopes and stuck under her bedroom door. I've peeked. They're full of potty-humor comic strips he's drawn and the odd spelling mistake. But they are also full of encouraging words and adoration. I love that he's choosing to express his heart and that he does it so well.

He will often open the door for me or take it upon himself to be my aide and protector when we are out. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, there is nothing sweeter.

I'm seeing more of his compassionate side come out as he grows older. He very much does not like injustices or squabbles and will insert himself in a scrum between his friends to stop the scuffle. And he's not abrasive or rude. Just confident and ready to take action. I love it.

The other day we were getting groceries and I heard the clatter of cans hitting the floor. A lady further down the aisle had picked up a warehouse pack and the casing broke. Without me even saying anything, he ran to help her pick up the dropped items. He's starting to do this sort of helpful kindness to strangers more and more and I love watching how it almost makes him walk taller and be purposeful... like he sees his own greatness when he's helping other people. Very cool.

Parenting is a huge job. One that I feel that I am woefully inadequate for most of the time. I know that the good that is in our children isn't a direct result of Awesomeness on our part. But seeing it sure makes my heart all glowy and yes, a little bit proud.

I think it's one of the neatest things about raising children -- this opportunity to actually observe their Person develop. Even though I joke about Blunt Force Trauma and my lack of patience at times where the Kid is concerned, it remains that he is one of my biggest joys in life.

3 comments:

Bijoux said...

Wonderful testimony from a mom with a son! As much as they can drive us insane, aren't they FABULOUS??

Craig said...

That second-last paragraph. . . Real wisdom right there. . .

Thanks for sharing. . .

;)

Anonymous said...

As I've told many parents, it all comes down to choice. The child's, not the parents. I agree with Craig's sentiments as well, wise words.

You son chooses well I think.