5.20.2009

Hurts So Good.

I finished my first full CrossFit workout tonight.

I knew I was in for a crazy hurt when our "warmup" was a workout. Start with 3 rounds of Cindy.

See, CrossFit names their workouts like we name hurricanes. I guess cause they hit you like a storm, or something. Cindy consists of 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups and 15 squats. She's a mini-hurricane, but enough to get the blood flowing and wondering what the real thing will be like.

Our coach further entertained herself by making us do 2 rounds of side-side jumps and something called "quick hands" which is sorta like a pushup, but isolating the work to each side of your body at a time, so much harder and not something I would look forward to doing again. I'm sure we'll be doing it again, though.

Then... on to the real Work.

5 rounds (for time, which means you gotta find your Hustle)

20 Kettlebell Swings (25 lbs)
10 Box Jumps (24" height)
10 Push Press (45 lbs)

I loved it and I hated it.

I was the only one of our group that actually did the box jumps. Everyone else modified to step-ups on shorter boxes. And I am proud of myself for that. Not only did it make the workout hugely more difficult but it was a total Head Thing for me that I overcame. I've always felt that I was a bit "vertically challenged", so to speak. And attempting and MISSING a box jump? Is an immediate ticket to Bloodied, Messed Up Shin World. So yeah, it was a big deal for me to clear that box for all five rounds. And the Push Press is just one of those things that feels so super hardcore when you do it, so that was pretty cool, too. I mean, you have to love it when your workout makes you feel like a powerlifter. Even when you're clearly not one.

p.s. This was my 100th post on this second incarnation of my lil blog. I really couldn't come up with anything better... sad, I know.

2 comments:

Desmond Jones said...

Eh, it took me three blogs to get to a gross of posts, so no worries, eh?

And you, my dear, are a workout FREAK. . .

JodyJ said...

You are a machine Girl!! Good for you to overcome the head game and do your thing. Looking forward to seeing you in a few days!