5.10.2009

Counted.

For all the sweet, tender hugs given by the Kid every night and the way he still calls me "Mommy" when sayin goodnight when he's tired of trying to be the big boy.

For collapsing on each other in giggles over some shared funny moment, always ending in a mother-daughter high five cause we're awesome like that.

For the way he brought his baby blanket to me last week when I was not feeling well and gently tucked it in around my shoulders.

For the evenings spent listening to her voice read to me, sometimes looking up at me to wonder about the pronunciation of a word. Her voice clear and expressive. For the emotion that quavers her throat during the touching stories and how she finds the heart of each character.

For the way he still throws up an "I Love You" sign with his hand whenever we say goodbye and waits to see my hand do the same before he blows me a kiss that I hold tight to my heart, wondering when this, too, will be a relic of childhood lost to growing pride.

For her love of music and lyric and movement. For the beautiful singing voice she finally has decided to share with us, growing more in her own confidence and sense of self.

For the way he finds the funny in me, is the Foil, the Straightman. How he delights in making people laugh.

For the pride that swells my heart seeing her grow as a little horsewoman, a true natural with grace and an easy capability that awes me to see. She is fearless and sensible all at once and absolutely in love with those giant animals.

For how he only knows how to go full speed. Hairpin turnin' - on fire - big air and loud. Somehow he always lands on his feet with a smile on his face.

For her zany characterizations that leave me in stitches, her impeccable sense of comedic timing and showmanship.

********************************
Today I am thankful to be a mother. A mother to two terrific, sweet and seriously supercool kiddos that challenge me, make me smile, fill my heart with love and joy.

I am a lucky, lucky girl.

5 comments:

Bijoux said...

Happy Mother's Day to you, Flutter.

Desmond Jones said...

I was at my MIL's yesterday, so I couldn't tell you on the day itself, but Happy Mother's Day to you, Flutter. You are an awesome mom, and may the day come soon when yer kiddos understand, in a grown-up way, how blessed they've been by having you for their mother. . .

Anonymous said...

Happy Momma's day!

FTN said...

aww. Makes me want to come hang out with your kids.

flutterby said...

Thanks guys. I hope you all (or the women in your lives) had a great Mom's day, too!