5.15.2009

Fifteen.



Fifteen days until my first roller derby bout.

I have butterflies already.

They're sitting on top of some pretty sore Crossfittin muscles and a wrecked up C3 vertabrae that I need to get chased back into place real freakin soon.

*******************************
Crossfit. Loving it. Completed two Foundations classes this week and they totally blew my mind. Worked on some Olympic lifts which has been a long time goal of mine and generally felt pain in every part of my body. Thankfully, I get along with pain just fine and come back for more. Crossfit's mascot is Pukey the Clown. I have a feeling I may just meet him, yet, despite my cautious pre-workout meals.

Some highlights:
* Getting rid of a persistent "butt wink" at the bottom of my Squat. I could always Feel it, but never knew what to do to get rid of it.
* OLifting! Squats, Front Squats, Overhead Squats, Deadlifts, Sumo-Deadlift Highpulls, Push Press, Push Jerk, Thrusters. All surprisingly technical and so very effective.
* ZooWalking. Sweet zombies! Bear, duck, frog, crab, chicken... the list kept going and going and we kept going and going... length after length of contorting, balanced movements that seemed simple but brought the pain.
* Pull-Ups. New goal: to do these badboys unassisted.
* Turkish Get-Ups. Like lyrical dance with a 30 lb iron kettlebell lifted overhead. Full body workout in one movement.
* Kettlebell swings. Hell for the glutes and way too much fun.


*******************************
Finally decided to see a chiropractor today about this neck issue. Took a crazy hit a couple weeks ago in a scrimmage and when I hit the ground I felt pretty much every bone in my spine crunch, ending with that icky little tippy top place under my skull. It was bothering me, some days more than others, and my usual "wait and see" game seemed to be the best bet. Sometimes my body just flicks things back where they should be. Or else... it totally doesn't and I end up locked up like Alcatraz. We got jail time this go around.

My regular chiro couldn't see me, so I went to see Mr. F's chiro and was pretty impressed. He totally did an electrical assessment and reading of impulse activity and range of motion and diagnosed some long-term strains and issues in my SI joint. And then he worked on all the crunchy bits in my neck and actually got somewhere with them. I'm currently icing and heating and feeling a lot better than I did this morning. Follow up on Wednesday and then I'm hopefully good until the bout.


*******************************
So yeah, fifteen days. Just five more practices and about as many workouts planned. We may get our butts kicked in the worst way at the bout, but it won't be for lack of trying!

5 comments:

Bijoux said...

Are the chiros encouraging you to keep up with this sport? That would seem like a dentist handing you a bag of candy when you leave!

word ver: skillsis
(totally appropo for a roller derby post!)

JodyJ said...

Just reading this has me cringing... I have a weak stomach for anything crunchy sounding,especailly when it has to do with body parts... BLAH!!
Be safe girl, and let those pansy rollerderby wannabe's see what a mommy of 2 can do!

Desmond Jones said...

Please don't hurt me, Flutter. . .

Or yourself, from the sounds of things. . .

WordVer = 'catersin'; which could be taken in various ways, I suppose. . .

Anonymous said...

Girl, you gotta get off yer butt and get some exercise!! ;-)

How do you do it wild thing?

And 'stabiona'? That might give you some new ideas .... so I'll kep that to myself.

flutterby said...

Cocotte -- I wouldn't say that the chiro ENCOURAGED it; but I think they know that people will do what they will do, they're just there to pick up the pieces!

JJ -- "I have a weak stomach" says the girl who watched part of her foot be sawed, filed and pinned. Sorry! I'm not buying!! :D

Des -- No worries, people (even opposing derby players) are ridiculously safe around me. My own body on the other hand... might come out a little worse for wear.

Xavier -- I managed to sit on my butt all long weekend. It was a beautiful thing. Oh, and I ate potato salad and chips and cake. :D Hooray for long weekends!