3.11.2009

Next Stop Derby-ville

Almost eight weeks ago I laced up my first pair of derby quad skates and boarded the derby train. They were shiny and new and I loved them.

They aren’t looking so new anymore. I’ve had to start taping my toes and cinch straps because they were getting gouged and burned by the sport court and other girls’ skates. They are lovingly scarred and a good bit worn already and I think I love them even more. I’ve logged close to 100 hours on them.

They may smell just a little bit funky. But I love my Pirate Skull hockey tape.

Last night marked the very last hour that they were ever worn by Derby Fresh Meat. Cause today I got the email I was waiting for. --my Fresh Meat days are done. On Thursday I receive my team placing and position.

WOO-FREAKING-HOO!

All of us Fresh Meat worked our butts off for this, and, whether or not everyone made the cut, I’m so proud of every one of us. We are gonna be a force to be reckoned with, given a little bit of time and seasoning. We are a hot mess of Crazy Tough and I can’t wait to see how things gel once we start practicing as a team and testing out the track in some bouts. There’s a couple travel dates on the agenda this summer and our own Derby version of the Labour Day Classic that we’ll be hosting in the fall… I can hardly believe that people will be buying tickets and coming to watch us (...Me! *ACK!*) compete. Just thinking about skating out onto the track with the girls... music pounding and the announcer shouting our derby names as we burn that first lap around the track... goosebumps.

I’ve got my derby name submitted to the international roster, and when I finally get the OK, I’ll have to give my persona an official introduction here in the blogosphere. Stay tuned!

The other day I came across this gem of a video from ESPN, a bit of a feature on derby and what it’s all about. Enjoy.





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So now you're a certified lethal weapon? Sweet!

Desmond Jones said...

Well, I'll have to wait 'til I get home to watch the video, but the Jolly-Roger tape is a hoot!

Please don't hurt me. . . ;)

Bijoux said...

I am a wimp. These women frighten me!

JodyJ said...

Those are some hardcore chicks... I agree with Cocotte they are scary.

Desmond Jones said...

OK, now I've seen the video. . .

Please don't hurt me. . .

flutterby said...

Seriously, some of those girls should probably frighten anyone!

:)

Got my team and position assignments tonight. I'm going to be playing the inside and outside Blocker position and alternating as a Pivot (That's the girl in the front of the pack with the stripe on her helmet panties -- no really, that's what they are called. Helmet panties.)

Desmond Jones said...

'Helmet Panties'. . .

So many ways one could take that simple two-word phrase. . . And the connection with Roller Derby (to say nothing of the women in the video) only enhances the possibilities. . .

;)