3.05.2009

I Don't Know How To Put This, But I'm Kind Of a Big Deal...

The past few days have been a whirlwind of activity. I attended my first sales meeting with my new employer -- a Fluttercity building contractor. Received a crazy amount of information in the form of three 3-inch binders; hundreds of home plans, standard specs, land inventory, contracts and agreements, etc.

And, I now have my own hard hat. It's white. It's hard. It sits atop my head in an odd, hard-hattish manner that I have yet to get used to. Which is to say that it makes my head look about four inches taller than it should normally look. Very flattering, I can tell you. You doubt?



I've also added some tech-ey things, namely a laptop and a calculator that does metric conversions for me. Cause I'm not good with math like that and our home plans are in imperial measurements and land inventory is in metric. Why? I may never know. But, it would seem prudent to know whether a certain-sized house is OK to place on a certain-sized lot. You know, so as not to break municipal laws and what not.

What can I say? I aim to please.

Yesterday, I toured the site of our new showhome and learned a bit of the lingo. Most of which I was actually familiar with, I guess. But it was still a neat experience and I learned a lot. It's currently being plumbed so there was lots of structural stuff to see and learn about. "Structural stuff" is obviously not an official term. But it's all I got at the moment and don't want to bore everyone with a review of footings and engineered beams and web trusses and steel support beams and floating concrete slabs. All of which I find fascinating but probably will make everyone else yawn and click to another site.

And this is all very cool to me. I've been able to sit in a showhome with my sales partner (really, "trainer") for the past two nights and on Saturday I go it on my own. Hopefully, if this nice weather hangs in here, I might actually even have some lookey-loos come by.

But, by far the coolest thing is that, today? Today I'm picking up a Builder's key. Which means I'll have access to over 60 homesites in Fluttercity. As in, I can drive along and see one of Our homes and grab my trusty little hard hat and saunter on in like I own the place.

Which makes me kind of a big deal. :D
Well, at least I'm four inches taller with my hard hat on.

8 comments:

Desmond Jones said...

You've always been a big deal in my eyes, Flutter. . . ;)

Bijoux said...

Looking good in that hard hat! And I love your new profile pic...you look so sunny & tan!

JodyJ said...

Flutter- let me ask you a question, do you have leather bound books and does your home smell of expensive mahogany?? Sorry I am taking the whole I'm kind of a big deal thing too far. LOL Maybe next time I visit we could go for some girl time, leave the kids with the hubby's and go look at some really richy rich houses.

flutterby said...

Desmond -- Awww, thanks.

Cocotte -- I think it makes me look like I have the world's tallest head. Like a conehead, or something!

JodyJ -- You stay classy, San Diego! Man, that show has so many good lines. And I actually hated the show, itself. But it's one of those ones that fun to quote from. Your plan is A-OK with me, chica.

Anonymous said...

Sweet! And no sweat, go ahead and yack about it here all ya want. I can talk the language.

And, um, what does Mr F think about you working in and around a bunch of studs all day with your harhat on?

flutterby said...

Mr. F. is just happy I'm working! I won't often be on site. Just often enough to feel important!! HA!

Desmond Jones said...

That Big-Plastic-Dome-Sitting-On-Top-of-Your-Head thing is just how hard hats look. It's really quite in-keeping with the whole Roller-Derby persona. . . ;)

And listen, once a month or so, Molly works proctoring licensing exams for plumbers. And her spending the day in a testosterone-rich environment never fails to work to my benefit before the day is done. . . ;)

flutterby said...

Well... except my derby helmet sits tight on my head, all sleek and mean. This thing totters and towers.

But, yeah... I realize that it's supposed to be like that to put a bit of air-space between the nasty thing that falls on your hat and your skull.