3.03.2011

30 Days of Music Videos

I'm doing this on Facebook and thought I'd cross post to my blog. But... because I'm pretty certain my blog might just blow a synapse over me actually posting daily, I may compile a couple days to a post. And, with any luck, I might actually post some *real* stuff in between.

But, if nothing else, y'all will get a chance to mock my musical taste and maybe even learn a little bit about me. FUN! Feel free to snag this idea for your blog, too (and let me know if you do so I can come by and comment!).

So, without further ado.

DAY 01 -- My favorite song.


There's a lot of songs that I could probably label as "my favorite". And probably, when I think of it longer, I'll facepalm over choosing an Eminem song, especially one from a motion picture soundtrack.

The first time I heard this song was when I started training Krav. I was trying to shed this "Mommy-person" that had excluded everything real and genuine about me and it was the hours of sweating, screaming, cussing, kicking, slamming, gouging and punching that drove me inside myself. Lose Yourself was one of the songs that got a lot of play during warmups and somehow, in my head and heart, it's become synonymous with conquering crap in your life and kicking butt. And still, today, if I gotta get psyched up for something; derby bout, job interview, whatever... it's often one of the songs that I search out on my iPod.

And, it's entirely possible that I once was one of a two-man karaoke posse that threw up hoods and got buck to it in a faraway city, some time ago. Peace out.



DAY 02 - A song I hate.



I really don't like to be negative about music. I'm certainly not any kind of a music snob, as will be evident by the 30 selections you'll see over the course of this little game.

I like Ricky Martin -- in fact, I should mention that as a ten year old girl, I managed to score a Menudo poster and it should be said that I peeked at it every night before I went to sleep, in hopes that his young self would show up in my dreams. Yes, I know. We were separated not only by a country, a language, and a shameful age disparity, but also a sexual orientation. Doomed, I tell you. Regardless, I own a couple of his spanish language albums and they have been, at various times, a fun choice when I feel the need to salsa dance around my house while cleaning. Which surprisingly happens a good deal. Sadly, this song does nothing for me.

Outside of the over-ambitious production (hello HORNS!!! SAVE.MY.EARS.) and the rudimentary lyrical choices... the final nail in the coffin was Mr. F's possession of a certain William Hung CD. You know, ThatKidFromAmericanIdolBlessHisHeart? Yeah. And after being forced to listen to She Bangs in that manner, well... I'm sorry, Ricky, I just can't do it anymore.



DAY 03 -- A song that makes me happy.


Again, so many songs I could have chosen here. (Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" would be next on the list, for sure) But I chose this one for one reason only. The key modulation around the one-minute mark. Pre-chorus/Chorus MAGIC, baby!!! I can't hear this without feeling my heart soar and a smile want to break across my face. Maybe that's silly, but that's how I roll with music.

6 comments:

Craig said...

I'm sorry; I can't keep William Hung out of my mind. . .

Anonymous said...

I agree craig. Besides, I like his version a great deal more though for purely evil reasons .....

flutterby said...

Craig -- Actually, I think I should be the one apologizing to you for that, shouldn't I?

Xavier -- Funny, you don't strike me as the evil type. But then what do I know...

Bijoux said...

Great idea! I may steal it....

Eminem - I don't want to like him, but truth be told, he does put out some good stuff. Though this would not be one of my choices.

Ricky - No love for him here either. Though I can think of songs I hate MUCH more than anything Ricky will ever put out.

DefLeppard - Gotta love this choice! I was in college during the height of their popularity. I can't hear one of their songs without remembering some party or other. Good, good times.

Anonymous said...

What? And here I thought you visited my blog before ..... :-)

Craig said...

I'm not much for Mr. Mathers, either, but I thought his Chrysler ad during the Super Bowl was just stunning. . .

And William Hung is just one of those things. . . so bad it was good, y'know?