12.17.2012

So You Had A Bad Day...

The kid about gave me a heart attack today. I picked him up at lunch and he climbed into the car, struggling for breath and feeling like his throat was closing. I tried my best to calm him down as I more or less raced through lunch rush hour traffic to get to the hospital ER.

Our experience was good so far as ER experiences go; the Kid's oxygen sat levels were low so they seated us right by triage and where he could be in line of sight in case his breathing worsened. He was really very calm throughout and I was thankful for that -- I'm sure it felt awful.

Still, even with his fairly serious symptoms, it took two hours for us to get to an exam room and then another 40 mins for the ER doctor to see him. By this time he was recovering. There were thankfully no signs of any kind of allergic reaction or anaphylactic shock. But there were also no answers as to why this happened. The docs immediate suggestion was perhaps a panic attack, but the Kid was in the middle of having fun and playing with friends when this happened. And he was calm even when he was having trouble breathing. I'm not sure that's it.

My mom mentioned that tachycardia runs in the family on her side -- the Kid's symptoms right away resonated with her experiences. So, I think that will be our next thing to check out.

I sure don't want to have to do another trip to the ER like today's. Way too stressful for this Mama's heart.

3 comments:

Craig said...

Too much excitement, there. Glad yer boy is OK.

I think we've had our kids in the ER for trouble breathing, but ours was always allergy-related. . .

Bijoux said...

Very scary. I hope you are able to find a cause!

Anonymous said...

scary stuff, hope you get answers and soon