12.10.2012

Instant Awesome.

This one little iPhone app is rocking my world at the moment.  It is basically an endless list of FREE playlists of music from every genre and time, sorted and searchable according to themes, genres, decades, activities (ie: Energy Boost, A Weekday Dance Party, etc.).


It is getting me through my workouts (courtesy of Massive Pop Hits, The Remixes), gives me my regular dose of 80s Love Ballads, HairParty and One-Hit Wonders.  Creates my soothing yoga background (thank you, Temperate Ocean Sounds playlist) and is currently throwing some lovely Hanukkah music my way. 

Huzzah for Songza!

**********************
I will just mention that Hanukkah songs as a genre are as varied as you can imagine.  So many are full of that noted wry, sardonic, self-deprecating humor that the Jewish culture is known for and the list of celebrity Jews is a long one; I never fail to be surprised to see what band or singer/songwriter has a Hanukkah song or album in their discography.

You'll find a large category of song parodies (ie: My Menorah sung to the tune of My Sharona) and this one is one of my favorites... kinda dig the acapella, these guys are really good!


And of course there are a number of sweet, sentimental and thoughtful songs like this one:
Hanukkah Blessings - Barenaked Ladies from Tom Edwards on Vimeo.

I saved this one for last; an 800 year old hymn that has survived the hazards of time and history.  Marc Cohn renders it in a way that leaves me a little speechless and solemn.  Touching and spiritual and profound.

2 comments:

Bijoux said...

My fave Christmas CD is Barenaked For the Holidayx, if only for its unique blend of Hannukah and Xmas tunes that you can't hear anywhere else.

Craig said...

Barenaked for the Holidays. . . Mmmmmmm. . .

I'm sorry, what were you saying?