4.29.2012

The Bangover.

First derby bout of the season happened last night and it was a night to remember. I was so very proud of our league. Having been a part of things since our first "exhibition" bout/event when we could barely pull together 20 skaters (who could barely skate!!) and 200 people to spectate... it kinda warmed my heart to see us doing what we do.

Three house teams. Scads of volunteers and support crew. Sold out bout, 800 fans. Full bout production. Tight scores and lots of hard-hitting action.

So freaking proud.

Along with all that amazing hard-hitting action comes the "Bangover". The morning after the night before. Now, I'm sure that some of the girls are also weathering a nasty hangover after the Afterparty. But that's not how I roll. :) I just am enjoying the sweet creak of joints and the ache of muscles and bruises and one torqued up neck and spine. A first class bangover.

And somehow I still love it.

With all my heart.

*************************************
p.s. For what it's worth... that girl whose elbow connected with the base of my skull? the reason for this cranked up neck? I got her good the next jam. Sternum block right off the jam whistle into her 6 foot frame. They fall hard when they're that big. (hahaha... and I may have to watch my back next bout!!) Totally will relive that moment for the next day or two, or at least until my neck feels better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bangove? Good stuff there, may it remind you of the fun a few more days!! ;-)

Craig said...

It just brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it? All those flying elbows, and bruised sternums, and all?

(*sigh*)

Suldog said...

I understand totally. As a catcher, I get banged up more than most, usually. Feels somehow good to roll out of bed the next day and know that each bit of soreness can be attributed to something I did on the field to try and advance my team's cause. Good for you!