11.11.2011

Preparation. Random thoughts

It's game day tomorrow.

Time to clean my skates, pack my gear. Get my "skate First-Aid" kit ready. Pack for the road, fill the car with gas, wash my car.

Have a Dairy Queen Blizzard.

???

Ummm, yeah. Something about replenishing the glycogen stores in the liver. I swear.

I leave tomorrow morning for a city about four hour's drive from home. With three rowdy, awesome passengers in my car, I am fully planning to enjoy my weekend. I love this game more and more each time I get to play it.

There may be a win. There may be karaoke. There may be a trainwreck of a morning after when I wake up to feel every bruise, scrape and aching muscle. And I will love every minute of it. Even if we lose.

But more if we win!

**********************
Today was Remembrance Day. My thoughts fell many times to the sacrifices made by young men and women, to provide the many freedoms and benefits that I experience, today. I was startled by the realization that the only people that I personally know -- have contact with -- who are serving in the military at present are women. I thought that interesting.

***********************
Today was also my birthday. I am now on the downhill slide to "40". Sometimes I must admit that I fell utterly scared by my age. I fear growing older... that it mean that my parents and those I love are growing older. My kids are growing older.

Such a simple fact of life. And one that's easy to ignore when you are in the "prime" of youth or in those busy, all-consuming years of young parenthood, I suppose. I don't want to grow old.

On the other hand. 36 isn't all that bad. And as my grandpa would say, it's much better than the alternative.

2 comments:

Craig said...

Well, you know, I'm closer to 60 than 50 now. . .

Heck, most of my kids are closer to 36 than I am. . .

It ain't so bad, tho. Sure, as yer kids pass thru their teens (and even their early twenties), life can kick you pretty good about the head and shoulders. And, as the saying goes, "We're too soon old, and too late smart."

But existence itself is a gratuitous gift. Never forget that. . .

(And your grandpa was right; just sayin'. . .)

Anonymous said...

Better than the alternative? You mean 37?? :-)

I'm justa bout 81 daze frum da haff uv a hunderd an I aint no werse fer da ware, tho I aint a weppon on weels like sum fokes.

Happy (belated) birthday my dear flutter. Show 'em what 36 is good for!