12.16.2010

Excitement! Anticipation!!! PUKING!!!!

OK, so there's not been puking, just yet. Lots of the other stuff, though.

After a lot of thought (two years on the back burner and a month of deliberation... I think that counts as "a lot") we've decided to pull the Kid out of public school and homeschool. Or, as I'd rather say... educate him at home.

See the difference? I say "homeschool" and people automatically picture, oh gosh, who knows what they picture, but it usually isn't good judging by the looks on their faces and the silly questions they ask. So, I'm finding different ways to say "homeschool". Potato, Potahto, I know... but it's important to me. I'm a smart lady who is more than capable of educating my children -- certainly better than the school system has attempted to with my boy -- and I can't stand being looked at like I've suddenly sprouted buck teeth, a pinafore dress with bonnet and shotgun when this topic comes up.

Anyhow, our curriculum supplies have arrived and I had to clear out two whole bookshelves to make room for the most of it, with more that still needs a home. Can I just say that I am geeked out beyond all belief at the books?! THE BOOKS!!!!! Not textbooks with dry facts and dates and bullet-pointed items to commit to memory, but real, living books with compelling, well-written stories that will engage my little boy's mind in epic points of history. So many award-winners and classic stories. Books for him to read alone and books for me to read aloud. I. Am. So. Excited. :)

The Kid is really excited, too. Not sure that he yet appreciates all the awesome stuff that we will be doing and reading and experiencing, but the prospect of being relieved of the stress and anxiety that school was causing in his life at this point in time, well, it's really been kind of wonderful to see. When he talks of homeschool I see his body get relaxed and he becomes so cheerful. I'm so happy to be able to do this for him, and very glad that we live in a country that allows different modes of education.

I have had brief moments of panic (hence the "puking" in the title) where I've wondered just how I'm going to manage my business while schooling my son, but I think it will work out in the end. There's always a solution to every problem and I'm sure this is not insurmountable.

4 comments:

flutterby said...

*ADDED*

Just realized that I never mentioned that we will begin "EDUCATING OUR SON AT HOME" in the new year. :) The fun begins soon!!

Craig said...

Whoa! The new look is so peachy!

We have lots of friends who homeschool, and it works really well for most all of 'em. Their kids even go to college, and stuff like that. We even had a go at it for a few months, with one of our kids (we'd have kept at it, if he hadn't kept running away from home. . .) It's hard work for Mom (mainly; altho Dad definitely can make his own contributions, if need be), but if you have a plan, it'll work just fine.

And listen - don't even pay attention to the weird looks. What the heck do they know, anyway?

Bijoux said...

Well, flutter, I will admit to not always having a high opinion of homeschooling, but I do believe that you are doing it for the right reason and not for reasons I sometimes hear in these parts. I wish you and your son much success! Will your daughter continue going to school and how does she feel about it?

flutterby said...

Craig -- A plan, you say? :) I always love hearing good kid-outcomes, homeschooling or otherwise. Lately been feeling so shaky about parenting... entering into new territory with pre-teen/hormones, etc. So yeah... hearing the good endings always soothes the tortured mommy-heart! I know that you've had your share of ups and downs; I'm always encouraged to see how you and your wife keep pushing towards better endings and better days! It seems to be working! :)

Cocotte -- Your comment brought to mind a little sketch I saw on Homeschoolers vs. Homeschooled. I'll have to recap on my blog sometime, it was really kinda good. :) The Princess will continue on at school for now. I say "for now", just cause who knows what the future will hold. She's happy there but kinda curious about what the Kid and I will be up to. I'm not opposed to educating her at home, either. I guess we'll just see what happens and what opportunites open up for our family in the future. Like I said, change is in the air. :)