1.25.2010

The Weekend That Wasn't.

Boooooo...

Boo for weekends that don't turn out. At all.

My crew was scheduled to leave for Medicine Hat early Saturday morning. Things were looking iffy on Friday as warm temps, slushy snow and rising winds were creating havoc on the highways. A few carloads of teammates that left on Friday, texted back messages telling us that the highways were in horrible condition and that no one should follow.

All fine and good except that things only got worse. At 7:00a.m. there were lots of stretches of highway which the provincial hotline was advising not be traveled due to icy conditions and the forecasted blizzard that night. Now, I am a good winter driver, I feel confident handling all kinds of snowy/drifty conditions, blowing snow, whatever. But ice scares the crap out of me, and after a quick breakfast meeting with my teammates, we decided to abandon our travel plans and live to derby another day.

Good choice, especially seeing how as of today... all my teammates who did make the trip are now stuck in Medicine Hat. Sections of highway have been outright closed yesterday and today. It's not looking good for them to get home any time soon and I'm glad that's not me.

But I did promise pictures. So, here is what my yard and neighborhood look like after a snow storm.


Winds have been averaging about 60km/hr for the last two days and there are some huge drifts in our back yard. For scale, that section of fence in the back yard is about 7 ft tall.


It's hard to appreciate the depth of this one. And you can clearly see that I left my deck a bit messy for the winter. I have yet to perfect my outdoor winterizing schtick. Somewhere at the side of the house is a garden hose and sprinkler set, as well. I suck. This snowdrift is about 6 ft tall and covers over 8x12 ft. Can anyone say SNOW FORT? Oh yeah.


Drifted up taller than the fence.


On the street in front of our house.


Across the street, our neighbors ended up with drifting in front of their houses. 5 - 6 ft high against the garage doors.


I can only imagine what this looks like from the inside.

Mr. F was out shoveling twice yesterday just to stay on top of the blowing snow... not to mention the SNOWBLOWING done by our neighbors, which neatly cleared their driveways but added inches more to ours. Honestly, people don't even use their brains.

5 comments:

Bijoux said...

It would be pretty darned amazing if it weren't so freaking annoying to live with! We do not get that sort of drifting here, but 17 straight days of snow earlier this month just about did me in.

I'm glad you are home and safe!

Craig said...

Sweeeeet!

I love the snow, as long as I don't have to drive in it. And when you get that much, you're not gonna be doing much driving. . .

And as re not driving to Medicine Hat (love that name!) - good choice. . .

JodyJ said...

I agree with Craig, I'm glad you didn't go these crazy highways of ours are so unpredictable. Enjoy making snow forts with the kiddo's!

FTN said...

Sorry you didn't get to go! Bummer.

Man, that's a lot of snow. I'm with you on the snow fort thing. That's hours of fun, assuming you are dressed in about 53 layers.

flutterby said...

Cocotte -- The wind and snow combo is frustrating. After a heavy snow, even if it stops?... You're still shoveling and re-shoveling to keep your drive clear. :(

Craig -- it was a good choice. And a good name. There's a lot of First Nations influence in the naming of cities and towns around this part of the Prairies.

Jody -- I can't wait to create a snow fort masterpiece! Now I just need to go buy some snow boots. The Princess has hi-jacked mine this season. They fit her and the (many) pair that we tried on her in the stores weren't as comfy, apparently. So, I've been wearing sneakers this year. I have the World's Warmest Winter Parka ever made, and sneakers on my feet. Go figure.

FTN -- see aforementioned lack of winter appropriate footwear. Must rectify and then proceed to build. And layer. Or layer and then build. :)