9.28.2009

Golden.

I love my Princess. And this is why.

*********************************

Sitting at the table doing homework tonight after supper, I decide to sit with her a bit and visit about her day while she works away. The Princess is feeling very giggly and plucky and is bringing out my favorite lil play voice -- the one that sounds just like the nasally-challenged socialite "Tracy Van Horn" on Hannah Montana. She cracks me up, this Princess.

(sing-song to the tune of CampTown Races... you know, the one that goes "all the doo dah night, all the doo dah day"...)

"I know something you don't know, do dah, do dah...
I know something you don't know, does that drive you crazy?"

She sits there with a silly grin plastered on her face and I have no choice but to begin the mastermind work of reeling this lil fishy in. Distracting her with suggestions for colors for her project and questions about what she's doing and totally ignoring that "She knows something I don't know, doo dah".

I know. I am a mad genius with the mind-probery. The Jedi ain't got nothin on me.

I can tell I'm getting her good. She works along barely able to stand it. I know her... she will not cave and be more direct. She sings her little ditty a couple times more while I remain steadfast in my placid and obtuse response. The third time I smile and laugh.

I let just a snort of mockery creep into my voice.

"Like there's anything you could say that could shock me." Haha ha ha and on to other work in the kitchen...

(Aside: See that? I am Just. That. Good.)

She grins and her eyes light up. "That's what you think, Mum. Today-"

Her eyes narrow and she bites her lip, looking me over like I'm a criminal -- her head slowly nodding as she takes in the truth.

"I know what you're trying to do, Mum."

I let a little smile peek out and she sings, ala Tracy Van Horn:
"I know something you don't know, do dah, do dah...
I know something you don't know, does that drive you crazy?"

CHECKMATE. I think I have met my match.

4 comments:

FTN said...

Why yes, that WOULD drive me crazy. This girl, she is aware of your wily ways.

Hmm. Now we are curious, though. So what could it be? What's your money on?

Maybe she kissed a boy. (KIDDING! I'm kidding!)

Desmond Jones said...

Be very afraid for her future husband. . .

'Course, I'm just arrogant enough that if one of my kids pulled that on me, I'd probably just snort and say, "as if. . ."

Bijoux said...

I'm to the point where I really don't want to know anymore!

flutterby said...

FTN -- I should ban you from my blog for writing such blasphemy. The Princess is forbidden from kissing frogs. Boys, too. :)

Des -- I'm busy worrying about her Present Mum... let alone being concerned with how any Future Husband will fare!

Cocotte -- Yeah... I suppose that day might come, too. I hope not. But I'm not stupid, either. I'm sure it will.