6.13.2009

Awesome To The Power of Sick.

Our derby league played a short scrimmage last night. It was just part of a steak night fundraiser our league was putting on; we broke into two bare-bones teams (one line and one extra jammer each -- we need more girls... send us MORE GIRLS!!) and played 30 minutes of the funnest, wildest game I've ever been a part of. The crowd LOVED us and had a great time and no question... I had a great time, too.

Some highlights:

- Wow. How nice to just be plain old Excited for a game and not feeling like barfing or peeing like before our last bout.

- Our team pulled together an awesome, showy bout production in seriously Record time. Great announcer, terrific music and sound system, lights, scoreboard... the whole nine yards.

- Playing every jam -- priceless experience.

- Facing down some of the big hitters and holding ground. Suh-weet!! And... taking some the hard way and kissing the floor.

- Getting my biggest derby rink rash to date. Six inches of angry red scab centered in a lovely dark purple bruise on my left thigh, compliments of Anna Filactic and the track boundary rope. (it's taped to the floor along the edge of the track. I neatly baseball-slid over top.)

- Having Mr. F. there to be a part of the ref team. He called all three of my minors. *grrrrr*

- Having Mr. F have fun being a part of the ref team! Yay! Derby is now not just My Thing.

- Jamming a full two minute jam against one of our team's accomplished jammers and going point for point with her.

- Hearing people cheering "GO Kitty!" during said jam. Very cool, rockstar moment. Fun.

- Hearing the crowd love the hits, the spills and the showboating. It was fun to Perform and feel that kind of energy directed at the game.

- Steak is totally THE BEST FOOD EVER CREATED TO EAT AFTER A DERBY BOUT. Nuff said.

- Ice cold beer is a close second.

- Loving my derby sistas. No matter how different we all are, they are some pretty rank, fun and caring girls and I'm glad to know each one.

- Waking up and feeling like a Mack Truck hit me the night before. Bruises on both legs, one butt cheek, hipbone and both arms. Knowing that someone else is feeling it that morning, too and it's because I did my job.

5 comments:

Bijoux said...

Good for you! And I love a steak and a beer too.

veri: rushe

Desmond Jones said...

You are one crazy gonzo lady, Flutter. . .

;)

Anonymous said...

"Send me more GIRLS!!" never worked for me. Hope =you have better luck!

So,when do you hit NY? Seriously, I'll be in the front row.



angst. Really.

FTN said...

You love bruises more than anyone I know.

flutterby said...

Cocotte: Yep, two things that are kinda made for each other!

Des: Actually, that might be an apt description. Makes me think of the muppet character Gonzo and how he morphs into his superstar stuntman character. We're all just trying to be special and have the crowd cheer our name, I guess. Mr. F. did say it was one of the most rockstar things he's ever seen in the sport world and that's saying a lot. :D It made me smile, anyhow.

Xavier: Hmmm... NYC will be a LONG ways away. We are working towards WFTDA affiliation, and then we'd have to get good enough to make the cut to play against the Gotham Girls. Those are some serious long term goals! But if we ever make it while I still have legs under me... I'll expect to see you there!

FTN: I guess there's not much to love about bruised flesh... although the one on my flankside is about four different lovely colors right now. I guess it's that bruises are kinda like penalty minutes -- if you finish a bout without any, you might as well have not been playing.