8.17.2012

Wahhhhhh...

I'm beginning to think this swimming pool will never, ever, ever get installed.

We just spent an hour trying to fine-level the hardpacked clay ground after the bobcat finished excavating.

Oh. My. Lord.

It's like digging into the side of a mountain. Like granite.

On to Plan B... Mr F is off to get a load of crusher dust. I figure that with the ground being so solid and unmovable, settling is the least of our worries. We'll just build the level base. (and yes, I said that with a wrinkly-nosed snarl and derisive look out the window at the stinking Clay Ground patch that is mocking me with it's non-swimming-pool-existence)

So, tomorrow I will have tamper and transit level in action -- I feel the need for some theme music. Something inspiring and superhero-ish. DA DAHDA DAH!!! And with any amount of luck, we will get this thing pulled together before the middle of next week.

I feel like this might be a good time to also say a prayer for cooler weather. Apparently I am a grouchy bear to work with in the heat of the afternoon. Or he is. One way or another, a cool breeze and some shade clouds would be mightily appreciated. ;)

2 comments:

Craig said...

My folks had kinda the, uh, opposite problem. . . Their backyard was sand, and fairly steeply graded, down to the drainage ditch. So the pool was constantly shifting, and slowly sliding down the slope. So Dad, being the concrete guy that he was, finally tore it all down and poured a concrete foundation for the pool footings. But the sucker stayed put after that. . .

Anonymous said...

We're too stinking lazy to mess with a pool .... for these reasons and more .... ;-)