5.21.2012

The Kid 10.0

My "baby" is now 10 years old.

I remember how when I first saw him, I marveled at how sturdy and strong he was. In fact, he held his head up remarkably well in the first few weeks after he was born. And later he kept me running when he began walking at 8 months of age.

It seems that he is bent on moving forward, even when this mama's heart would like nothing more than for him to stay little.

I imagine that the next ten years will go by as quickly as the first. I am all at once anxious to know the man my boy will be and also loathe to see those years pass at all. I hate how time has a habit of slipping by so fast and I hope I don't miss anything.

4 comments:

Craig said...

Well, our youngest just turned 10, as well, which seems like some sort of definitive marker of the orreversible passage of time. . .

And just between you and me, the time only goes faster, the older you get. . .

But this - "I am all at once anxious to know the man my boy will be. . ." - is profound, and very wise. 'Cuz the parental goal is to turn our kids into solid, capable adults. . . (And I can tell you that there's a lot of enjoyment to be drawn from relationships with your adult children, too; so, you know, there's that to look forward to. . .)

Bijoux said...

I sometimes go into my son's room when he is at school and mourn the little boy he was. How sad is that? I know you are supposed to enjoy every age, but 17 year old boys don't really spend a lot of time with their moms.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer! Happy Birthday to your sweet son. I believe he and I share the same birthday!

Anonymous said...

Been a good 12 years since we had a 10 year old .... wow.

Time sure does fly, huh? Congrats Momma!

Suldog said...

Happy Birthday to yours and you!