11.23.2009

Howling at the Moon.

Tonight I dragged Mr. F. to watch New Moon at the theatre.

For those of you who have had your head under a rock, or simply prefer your fiction to be grounded in reality and substance; it is the sequel to "Twilight".

It's about teenage angst and vampires (and really, now... clearly those two things go hand in hand.) and life-altering LOVE *sigh*. Oh, and werewolves. There may be some other elements involved, some semblance of a plot and really some interesting action sequences. But really? Mostly about vampire love.

Which begs the question. Why did I care to watch?

Which is really something I haven't got around to asking myself, yet. The answer revolves around being bored at my old hotel front desk job and picking up the book to read to pass the time. Which then begged me to fulfill my curious wonderings... "Is the movie better or worse than the book?" Which really could be a toss up. Cause the book wasn't all that hot. Should be easy to improve on. But... I digress.

What is will say is that I was shocked at what passes for a "PG" rating nowadays and just how many children (really... CHILDREN) were at the movie theatre to watch this. Cause it was pretty violent/perilous and there were a few steamy moments that I sure wouldn't want my kids to watch. I know that "kissing" falls under a PG rating, but dude... those were some HOT kisses.

I will also say that I was not adverse to the fact that werewolves are kinda hot. And mostly shirtless, apparently. (I mean, when they're not werewolves... cause, obviously... wolves don't wear shirts when they're wolves. Or whatever.) Heh heh... it appears that the wolves brought out my inner Cougar.

Lame... sorry.

I guess it was entertaining enough. Better than the book in some ways, and not as good in others. The pacing lagged through some of it... I could do with less angst and more action. But all in all, not bad. Some themes are universal, and anyone who's been thrown to the gutter by love can probably relate to these characters. And I think that's why people love the story.

That, and shirtless werewolves.

6 comments:

Bijoux said...

I only read the first book. College Daughter and I might try to see the movie over her break. I guess I should try to read the book first?? I like vampires, but not werewolves, so maybe I won't dig this too much??

Desmond Jones said...

Vampire Love. . .

Seriously. . .

Makes me think of the old song about Muskrat Love. Which, honestly, was pretty awful. For what it's worth. . .

JodyJ said...

Hey!!!!! Aren't we considered puma's still????? I thought you had to be in your 40's to be considered a cougar??

FTN said...

I refuse to justify a post about "New Moon" with a comment.

Darnit, too late.

How about I just link to this instead.

flutterby said...

Cocotte -- The werewolves are "done" very differently than usually seen in this genre. Honestly... I'm not really "into" all this fastastical kind of fiction and what not. So maybe that's not an accurate statement. Maybe the werewolves are often cited like in this movie. I don't know... I'm not "up" on my mythical creatures. (Other than Michael J. Fox as a teenage werewolf...) Enjoy the show!

Desmond -- I know, right? And, technically, I guess it's Vampire-Mortal Love. Which is supposed to make it all the more hotter and forbidden, right?

JodyJ -- I don't know what that particular threshold is... let's go with 40, though. :) Sounds good to me.

FTN -- Your link was both hilarious and astute. Just for that, I will consider it as a non-comment. Your NewMoonEmbargo is still intact. You've been absolved of any guilt concerning commenting on New Moon posts. Go in peace, my brother.

Bijoux said...

I saw it! Yes, the werewolves more like scary dogs than werewolves. The movie wasn't that bad though. I only checked my watch once, and that was near the very end.