8.24.2009

Stranger and Stranger.

Does it mean anything important when you realize something kinda weird and strange about yourself?

Cause lately I've noticed that I have this strange compulsion to do stuff while I'm brushing my teeth at night.

I think I've always been like that -- most would probably just call it multi-tasking. I straighten the bathroom, attempt to slip my headband over my head for when I wash my face later, or maybe start the shower or stop to pick at a blemish (and really, I know... Ewwwww...) or do any one of many things which are not, by definition, furthering the cause of cleaning my teeth.

On the positive side, it means that I often end up brushing my teeth for large amounts of time which would probably make my dentist smile and send me a nice, smiley note saying "Keep Up The Good Work, Flutterby". That's good, right?

On the other hand, well... I'm brushing my teeth for a long time. Nuff said.

Any of this would just be a cute little annotation to the list of Things That Make Me Speshhhal, except that I'm finding it a bit worrisome. Cause I've tried to stop it. You know, stop doing the Other Stuff and just Be One With The Brush. Focus. Stay on Task.

And I can't.

Isn't that just a bit effed up?

I sorta thought so.

5 comments:

Bijoux said...

I do the same exact thing. Amazing how I can sit and watch TV and do nothing else for hours, but I can't stand in front of a mirror for a minute brushing my teeth.

Desmond Jones said...

Ummmmm. . . I find your obsessing over whether what you do while brushing your teeth is weird, to be, you know, a little weird. . .

;)

JodyJ said...

It's how we women are programmed. we multi task all the time whether we are aware of it or not. Don't fight genetics girl, embrace and be proud. Now I have to go, I need to go to the bathroom and on the way I am going to grab a pile of laundry that's sitting here needing to be put away. And as I am using the washroom I will reach over and wipe down the counter, start the water so it's warm when it's time to wash my hands and then reach the other way and straighten the guest towels.... all this before I flush! As I said, don't fight genetics! :O)

FTN said...

Ten bucks says you wrote this blog post while brushing your teeth.

I often do a thing or two while brushing my teeth -- put on a belt, tie my shoes -- but having those hands on a belt or shoes really prevents any brushing from taking place during those times anyway. So we need a federally-funded study on how much it helps my teeth to just have the toothbrush sitting in my mouth whilst I'm doing other things.

flutterby said...

You all can't know how glad I am to know I'm not the only multi-tasker. Although I've gotta give JJ an AWARD! That is some serious bathroom multi-tasking. Go, girl!