7.06.2009

Stuff.

Today was the Princess' 11th birthday. I had considered doing an all-Princess post today in honor of it, but my Parental Fairness Alert reminded me that I was unable to do the same for the Kid's birthday as we were out of town for it. Thusly... I probably shouldn't do for one what I didn't do for the other.

Oi, the guilt...


***********************

I will say, however, how blessed I am to have both my kiddos be such amazing lil treasures. Daily they surprise and bless me with their humor and uniqueness and perspective on life and the world.


***********************

Friday I decided that the Kid needed a haircut badly. He is famous for seemingly sprouting hair overnight, so that his hair looks passable -- even good -- until the morning he wakes up and it looks like a shaggy blond hedgehog has possessed his skull. Bolstered by the advice of a good friend and mother ("it's so easy..."), I decided to take matters into my own hands. The Kid was game, if only a little wary... and the clippers made their first slip through the hair by his left ear.

I don't know if he moved, or if I just plain old did it wrong but I could immediately tell it wasn't turning out so well. A tentative second attempt confirmed that I should probably just Put Down The Clippers and let the professionals finish things up.

I should mention at this point that the Kid has pretty much the full side quarter of his lil head buzzed, and this after he straight out told me he did not want a buzz-cut.

Good work, Mom.

Seriously? The hardest thing was holding back the giggles as I looked at his mangled hairline and trusting face while trying to make up some excuse (so as not to worry him -- the Kid is a teeny bit shy and prideful about his boyish appearance...) as to why Mommy was not going to finish and we were going to go see Bobbi-Jo The Hairstylist the next day.

Turns out Bobbi-Jo The Hairstylist had the weekend off and I had to phone over six salons before finding an opening somewhere. Thankfully, all was salvaged and the Kid is looking his usual dashing self. However, I was treated to a full day and a half of looking at that partial buzz-line and I can't tell you how entertaining that was.


***********************

Line Of The Day Award goes to the polite hairstylist who looked him over and inquired, "So... *pause. blink* ...What look were we going for here?" Bwaaha haa haaa ha!!!


***********************

My derby name has finally been approved, which thrills me to no end. No really... every time I think of it? Little chills. Sweet, little derby chills. It's probably the closest I'll ever get to having my name up in lights. I mean, the sensible part of my brain totally realizes that it's not even my Real Name and there are no lights involved at all, really, and it's actually not close to that at all if one really thinks about it. But, there's the other part of me that is truly excited and actually honored to see my derby name published amongst some of the greats... the all-stars... the NAMES, you know? So, go check it out, here, if you like. I'm about halfway down the list, swimming along with the deluge of other "Kitty"-type names.


***********************

Tomorrow morning I'm off to my parents' cabin for a few days and then to visit my in-laws at their cabin for the weekend. I know... lucky, lucky girl. :)


***********************

"Houston, we have grass."

Yep. Turf was delivered and conquered and is now being watered obsessively. And it looks soooooooo nice. After two years of looking at dirt and mud in the yard... and two DOG years of looking at it being tracked into my house; grass is looking much like Heaven should.

Forget the streets of gold. Bring me Fescue.


***********************

You know when there's just something about a song? Yeah. For some reason this one is makin me rock, lately. Horns up, Journey. Really. Really? Journey. Huh.

Song starts about 2 mins in.

7 comments:

Bijoux said...

Journey is my guilty pleasure.....
Sounds like you've been a busy Flutter, as usual. Good to hear from you!

FTN said...

Have a good trip!

Every parent needs to butcher a kid's haircut at least once. I suppose cuts are much easier if you are going for a something that's all the same length. I'm sure my son is getting old enough that I won't be able to cut it for much longer... He'll want it to look "good" rather than "passable, as Dad-cuts go."

A belated happy birthday to the Princess!

Desmond Jones said...

Molly has been cuttin' our kids' hair for a few years now. What FTN said is definitely true - Same-Length-All-Over really simplifies things. Altho by now, she's perfectly comfortable doing two-length cuts (a bit longer on top, dontcha know).

But - you took The Kid to a salon? You don't have barber shops up there in the Frozen North? I mean, we could be talkin' scarred-for-life here, y'know?

Enjoy your vacation. At least as much as we did ours, I hope. . .

Anonymous said...

At-home cuts are the best .... I can't believe you chickened out after just a little buzz!!

.. Gotta love the derby moniker. But all it takes is a judges' signature and it could be real!! Think about it ...

Therese in Heaven said...

RS cuts Marcus's hair, but I confess he looks like a shorn sheep when its all said and done!

At, three, though, he's too young to care.

flutterby said...

Cocotte -- tee hee... we can sit and listen to Journey together, then and not feel a bit funny about it. :)

FTN -- I think that would make a sweet picture; daddy-FTN buzzing lil-kids hair. I like it.

Desmond -- Funny, after I read your comment I had to hit my forehead -- DOH! Totally forgot about trying a barber shop. I guess as a GIRL, that kind of thing is totally off my radar.

Xavier -- Making it legal, huh? Now, that would grab some attention. :)

Therese -- "Shorn sheep" is an apt description for the side of the Kid's head!

Trooper Thorn said...

I'm a big fan of the "skip-a-party" birthday party, but I can never get the kids on board with it.